Redefining D&D 5E Classes and Skills

madzerker

Explorer
Just a heads up that I took what you did here and made a few minor adjustments to make it fit in my world (and a few major changes where I have seperate spell lists for each subclass) and me and my players have 3 games under our belts now. We are having a blast! With these changes D&D has become fun for me again, haven't really played much since 2nd edition because I hated the magic system among other things, but with your ideas, some of the new 5th edition ideas mixed with my own it is exactly what I want right now. So thank you.

madzerker

Explorer
Off the top of my head (as I did most of this in November) I kept the skill/saving throws the way they have it in the book (I was trying to keep the game mechanics as close to rules on most stuff unless it was really important to me). I did what you did with the main classes and subclasses but I kept the barbarian (which I call savage warrior) because a lot of my campaign in based in celtic and norse type areas so I have more sub classes like warp spasm warriors ect that fit under it. I use some of your subclasses and some not, and I add some of my own, this is all to fit my personal world. For magic I use spell points like you, but I split the magic up into smaller pools for each subclass of spell caster, that way they seem more specialized but I have a base Sorcerer and Mystic list as well. I have a lot of human races with different bonuses ect. but only non human player classes are dwarves (once again, to fit my world). I may have changed one or two things in a couple of subclasses, but I don't remember to be honest, so most of it is very similar to yours. I will keep adding subclasses that fit my world as I have time. Overall it seems to be working great so far, my players are all happy and a couple of them have played previous editions and they don't seem to mind the changes since I told them ahead of time that my world was different

Sadrik

First Post
I have a minor improvement/variation on your proposed system. I tweaked the skills around a little bit mostly. Tools, languages, armor and weapon proficiencies map back to one of the 11 skills. Rough that you were not able to squeeze the monk into the fighter and the rogue.

Skills
This section replaces the proficiency rules, except for armor, weapons and tools. Using a weapon or tool that you are not proficient with gives you a disadvantage to the skill roll.

The three types of rolls in the game (ability check, saving throw and attack roll) are replaced by a single type: the skill roll. To make a skill roll, roll a d20, add a skill modifier and an ability modifier (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA) and compare the total to a target number (the AC or DC). Thus, rolling Acrobatics + DEX means rolling a d20 and adding your Acrobatics skill modifier and your Dexterity modifier.

A character starting skills modifiers are granted by his race, class and background. Below is the list of skills, the actions that use that skill modifier and the ability used for that action. For example, a rogue with +3 Subterfuge and a Intellect of 14 wants to disable a trap. He rolls a d20, adds his Subterfuge skill modifier (+3) and his Intelligence modifier (+2) for a total of d20+5 and compares it to the trap DC set by the DM. If he didn't have proficiency with Thieves' tools, he would have disadvantage on the roll.

Acrobatics (DEX): Jump, Balance, Dodge, Tightrope walk, Tumble
Athletics (STR): Run, Jump, Lift, Swim, Climb, Fly, Resist being restrained or moved
Attack (DEX): Attack, Disarm, Grapple, Touch, Trip
Craft (INT): Appraise, Craft, Repair, Engineer
Fortitude (CON): Concentrate, Resist Physical (Poison, Diseases, Polymorph, Petrification)
Influence (CHA): Bluff, Charm, Intimidate, Persuade, Perform, Lead
Lore (INT): Recall Knowledge, Research knowledge, Decipher Script, Languages
Nature (INT): Calm/Train Animals, Camouflage, Forage/Hunt, Navigate, Ride, Track, Leave no tracks
Perception (WIS): Listen/Search/Spot, Insight, Initiative, to see through illusions, ambush, sneak attacks
Subterfuge (DEX): Sneak, Sleight of hand, Escape bonds
Will (CHA): Resist Mental (Fear, Charm, Hold Person)

Tool Categories
Alchemy Kit (Craft)
Artisan Tools (Craft)
Disguise Kit (Influence)
Forgery Kit (Lore)
Gaming Kit (Influence)
Healer's Kit (Lore)
Herbalism Kit (Nature)
Musical Instrument (Influence)
Navigator's Tools (Lore or Nature)
Poisoner's Kit (Lore or Nature)
Traps and Locks Kit (Craft or Subterfuge)

Languages
Common (Lore)
Elvish (Lore)
Dwarvish (Lore)
Etc.

Weapons
Longsword (Attack)
Longbow (Attack)
Ray of Frost (Attack)
Etc.

Armor
Plate (Athletics)

Sadrik

First Post
I made some changes. I have been working on this for a couple of months.

I am curious about anyone who may have playtested this. I am very excited about giving this a try. When our Traveler game completes this is what may be next in the docket.

Attachments

• New 5e.rtf
    529.2 KB · Views: 136

Remove ads