• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redefining INT and WIS

Cobblestone

First Post
Inspired by this thread, new definitions for intelligence and wisdom.

Intelligence is a measure of perception, learning ability, creativity and imagination. A character with a high intelligence score is quick-witted, clever, inventive and cunning. A character with a low intelligence score might be dull, slow, or simply set in their ways, or have a hard time putting two and two together.

Intelligence modifies the following skills: Insight, Perception.

Wisdom is a measure of knowledge gained, regardless of whether that knowledge comes from long hours of study or practical experience. WHile wisdom often increases with age, everyone knows someone who is "wise beyond their years." A character with a low wisdom score is naive, ignorant, or perhaps simply uneducated.

Wisdom modifies the following skills: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Heal, History, Nature, Religion

Rationale: This house-rule aims at two goals:

1. Make Intelligence and Dexterity equally beneficial. By RAW, dexterity offers a greater benefit (Initiative and Ranged basic-attack bonuses in addition to Reflex Save bonuses and bonuses to Dex-based skills--especially Sneak). So that, given a character who can afford to neglect either one of her Reflex stats, the optimal choice is to dump INT. With this change, because of the improtance of Perception as a skill, intelligence offers almost as much.
  2. Clearly distinguish the two mental statistics from one another. Before, Intelligence was some vague measure of scholarly-ness, and Wisdom a weird combination of intuition and eyesight. Now intelligence and wisodm are slightly restored to a more traditional definition: Intelligence is perception and learning-ability, and Wisdom is knowledge.
Effects of this House-rule (maybe? hopefully?):
  • Wizards become slightly more MAD.
  • Smart/fast rogue archetype is less sub-optimal.
I would love to get some feedback on this change. What classes benefit? What classes get Nerfed? What archetypes become un-playable? Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Peace,

C-Stone

Khuxan

First Post
I think initiative should be moved from Dexterity to Intelligence. That's a concrete, combat-based benefit for Int that makes as much sense as Intelligence adding to Reflex.

Cobblestone

First Post
I think initiative should be moved from Dexterity to Intelligence. That's a concrete, combat-based benefit for Int that makes as much sense as Intelligence adding to Reflex.
I think that's a good fix for solving the relevance-of-INT-for-classes-that-don't-need-it-otherwise problem. What would the (fluff) justification be? If Wisdom (by RAW) added to your initiative, because your character is more perceptive, that would make sense, but Intelligence? I guess if we're thinking of Intelligence as meaning quick to process information it works. I still think intelligence and wisdom could be better defined, and the game would benefit.

Thanks for the reply.

Peace,

C-Stone

Khuxan

First Post
I think that's a good fix for solving the relevance-of-INT-for-classes-that-don't-need-it-otherwise problem. What would the (fluff) justification be? If Wisdom (by RAW) added to your initiative, because your character is more perceptive, that would make sense, but Intelligence? I guess if we're thinking of Intelligence as meaning quick to process information it works. I still think intelligence and wisdom could be better defined, and the game would benefit.

It seems to me an intelligent person should be able to anticipate and preempt the course of action others take, should be able to process information about the battlefield quickly and respond with well-reasoned, but immediate, responses.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

That makes Dex worth too little vs. Int except for classes that need it. The only benefit Dex would have is if you happen to be using a ranged weapon (that isn't Heavy thrown). And really, basic attacks aren't a big thing.

For classes that don't need Dex or Int, initiative and skills are the primary differentiators. Move good skills and Init to Int, and it's now overballanced the other way.

Remove ads