• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redesigning and re-branding EN World

jujutsunerd

Explorer
Two concerns

One is that it doesn't seem lynx-friendly at all. While this in itself is probably not a major concern to you (even if it is to me ;-) how lynx-friendly a page is is a pretty good indicator on how well it works for disabled users.

The second is that I don't like drop-down menues.

Of course, both of these problems can be solved by a good site-map page.

/Jonas

Siobharek

Explorer
I think it looks extremely nice, Morrus. Good work! Only thing is that on my Mac running IE5.0, teh drop down menus disappeared behind the banner ad.

Is that a common occurrence, or is it just me...?

Blacksad

Explorer
I do not like it

I do not think that WotC should be considered like any other publisher, and think that their upcoming release should be on the page (with direct link to preorder them from the ENstore).

The ENstores basicaly get two links on at the top, and one at the left, it feels like too much. The left coulum take one quarter of the screen on a 800*600, and it gives an asymmetrical look to the site (I miss something on the right side or nothing on the left side), plus it looks like an emphasing of ENstore presence and give me some kind of beggar impression, not warm and friendly.

Somehow, the date doesn't show on a single line, and the page reload itself with each resizing of the window.

Considering the emphasize on review, a direct link toward the d20 guide might be a god thing.

Perhaps the "this site is owned by Morrus" should be a bit more toward the top, and you could also put a "send me/to ENworld your d20 scoop" or something like that, to provide the community feeling.

Have you thought of putting the menu curently at the top to the left? curently it looks like WotC website in its navigation, I don't know which one I'll prefer, I'll probably need to see both.

I had a hard time figuring why it seemed strange: you should put the "EN World - Morrus' D20 System News & Reviews Site " in the same gray backround that the "latest press release" is, curently the ad look like an annoying gif lost in the black page (try this at home: put a cookie in a small plate and one in a big plate, the one in the small plate looks better doesn't it?)

Now the good side: you should have done the link toward the d20 publisher forum for a long time, it's great and allow to read all PR, though you might want to test a split of the d20 publisher forum: one for press release and one to discuus with publisher, I don't think it would be usefull, but the direct link toward the d20 publisher forum might provoke an increase in traffic and customer post, that might hide on the second page some one week old PR.

Last edited:

Cyronax

Explorer
This proposed layout was okay I suppose. Aesthetically speaking, I think that it would look a lot better if you kept the ENie Award Icon in the upper left part of the page (like you do for the real board). It just looks better.

Also the menu that graces the right side of the page would look better if it was on the left IMO.

But its your baby,
C.I.D.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Overall it looks nice. I know people don't like frames but if you placed the buttons in a frame the would stay on the top of the page (or the side if you put them there) as you scroll the page.

kingpaul

First Post
I like the layout. I don't know if its the browser (IE5) on this computer or not, but the drop-downs appeared behind the banner, and I couldn't read the choices.

GralTok

First Post
Put the collumn from the right to the left.... I just think that starting text directly from the left of the screen is a mistake of positionement ..(( Sorry I do not know the english term for what I exactly want to say.. as I study in french... ))

GralTok

First Post
Just seen yous second take on redesign...

The button to the top is better me think ... and in a frame would be nice... If you put as no one really see it... I mean no need to show it is .. right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads