• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reducing bonus types

Kerrick

First Post
I was toying with the idea of higher-level spells being immune to dispel but not greater dispel also, but at that level of play, you're not going to see many simple dispels - if you're using L6 spells, you're more like to get to get hit with greater dispel or maybe even disjunction. If you change it to L5 buffs are immune to dispel magic, then the DM would have throw higher-level opponents against the PCs to be able to affect them. (Of course, the DM shouldn't be actively trying to dispel their buffs all the time, so maybe this is a good thing - something 2-4 levels higher is intended to be a challenge, and they should possibly expect it.)

Kerrick

First Post
So I got some feedback on this system from a guy on another forum. He said that the two-tier system was clunky and confusing, and had too many exceptions. After some thought, I had to agree - you have to remember which bonuses go where, what stacks with what, etc.; it's a mess.

Edit: Never mind. After further discussion, I've decided to stick with the original bonuses (one tier), and just restrict stacking. It'd be easier all around.

Last edited:

Remove ads