• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reflavoring

Ravingdork

Explorer
I am writing this post to inform you of a fun little trick that our group has been using to increase the fun in our games.

CHANGING THE FLAVOR TO PRE-EXISTING WEAPONS AND ITEMS.

So many people get caught up on what the book says. This is a habit that stems primarily from v3.0/v3.5's endless line of splat books where you had rules for anything and everything. People got so used to being able to find rule X in book Y on page Z that they eventually fell into the mindset of "if there wasn't a rule for it, it didn't exist in D&D" instead of just being creative and reflavoring a few things to suit their needs. This is a trend I am sorry to say many people have carried over to 4E D&D. Just take a look around at all the threads where people try and neuter Exploit classes because their powers "just aren't realistic."

Anyway, back on topic: The weapons in the 4E PH can cover so many ideas with a little reflavoring. For example, I am currently playing this guy...

84352.jpg

...he is an old priestly fellow (ranged cleric) who has no weapons of his own and must rely on his metal walking cane in combat (for opportunity attacks). His simple metal cane, however, has the stats of a fierce greatclub. FEAR THE OLD MAN CLERIC! :D

The other day, one of my players became upset after looking at the weapons in the Player's Handbook. "THEY DON'T HAVE A SPEAR YOU CAN THROW ANYMORE!" she said to me. I calmly reasured her that they did, and I pointed her to the Javelin entry. After all, what is a javelin but a spear you can throw? Heck, you can even use it in melee! I even allowed her to write it on her character sheet as THROWING SPEAR since the name fit better in her mind. And you know what? We continued to game happily without any problems whatsoever.

My brother plays a pirate captain (TWF Ranger) who wields a pair of heavy cutlasses. He used the stats for scimitars.

An old friend of mine converted his v3.0 Dwarven battle cleric to 4E rules. Instead of a Dwarven Warpike, he wields a +1 vicious halberd--which he describes as an especially dangerous looking Dwarven warpike. Some of the mechanics of his character changed between editions (from Cleric/Warpriest to Paladin) but his concept remains precisely the same. As far as his character is concerned, he never stopped adventuring in the same old fantasy world he has always lived in.

I am currently planning on a forest-themed Goblin rogue character who uses a poisoned blowgun and needles (shuriken stats) to devastate his enemies.

What fun ideas can you and your players come up with to enrich your games? Give it a try. It can be loads of fun. You don't have to limit it to weapons either! Reflavoring class abilities, feats, and racial traits can grant you a number of new races and abilitities limited only by your imagination! :D

OrienQuinn

First Post
I'm with you: this is one the the beautiful things about 4E. I re-flavor all the time. In my last game, my players ran into a gazebo covered with killer vines, and I just used the Shambling Mound stats for it. They had a lot of fun killing a gazebo, and I didn't put any work whatsoever into statting the damn thing up. I even re-flavored a Poison Dart Trap as a hedgerow full of killer snapdragons. I didn't need stats for the plant, because the trap worked perfectly.

Syrsuro

First Post
I'm with you: this is one the the beautiful things about 4E. I re-flavor all the time. In my last game, my players ran into a gazebo covered with killer vines, and I just used the Shambling Mound stats for it. They had a lot of fun killing a gazebo, and I didn't put any work whatsoever into statting the damn thing up. I even re-flavored a Poison Dart Trap as a hedgerow full of killer snapdragons. I didn't need stats for the plant, because the trap worked perfectly.

A gazebo? About 30' across and 15' high with a pointed top? Did they try shooting it with an arrow and was it wounded? Did they have axes and fire spells?

Carl

Runestar

First Post
Problem is - I may desire new mechanics exactly because I want my custom character concept to play differently from existing character builds, and not come across as just another retread. I crave not new flavour (or at least, not just new flavour), but a unique gameplay experience which may not be able to be provided by current rules.

For example, yes, I could reflavour a shuriken into a blowgun and darts, but what if I had already played a shuriken-throwing rogue previously? The end result is a character build which, while arguably possessing different flavour, plays virtually identical to an earlier PC.

Why don't I instead attempt to benefit from the best of both worlds, and instead try to marry both roleplay/flavour and rollplay into one harmonious whole? Optimize a build that offers good, solid play in your DM's campaign, and gives abilities commensurate with his backstory and allows your PC to perform everything expected of him/her, and perhaps even more.

To cite a 3e example (because the OP appears to be putting the blame for this phenomenon squarely on 3e mechanics), lets say I want to play a swashbuckler-type PC. Yes, in theory, I could rework the flavour of a fighter and give him feats like spring attack and weapon finesse. While the end result is a character that appears swashbuckling enough, it still does nothing to change the sorry fact that a 3e fighter is mechanically a very poor choice to play a swashbuckler. In light of this, can you blame me if I opt to min/max my own swashbuckler (say I end up with a monk2/swashbuckler3/warblade7/eternal blade8 build) build to ensure that he at least has the hard cold stats and the capability of backing up his backstory and being strong enough to hold his own in combat?

My conclusion? Don't settle for second best. The OP's treatise seems common-sensical enough at a glance, but if it is anything 3e has taught me, it is this one simple lesson.

You can't roleplay if you are dead.

And it is not the best thought out backstory in the world or the most beautifully roleplayed scenario which keeps your PC alive, but hard, cold stats.

Accept no substitutes.:)

Mengu

First Post
Stats are just numbers on a paper. The rest is free game as far as I'm concerned. If someone likes the stats of the Bastardsword, and is fine spending a feat on it, but wants his weapon to look like a scimitar, I have no problem with it. He is wielding a scimitar that has the stats of a bastard sword.

If a ranger wants to wear leather armor because he likes the stats, but wants it to look like animal hides, we can call it Hide armor, but it will have the stats of leather.

If the wizard wants to call herself a sorcerer, wants to call her Magic Missile - Digger Bolt, her Combust - Dragon Slave, her Black Fire - Ragna Blade, and her Meteor Swarm - Giga Slave, then be it.

I try to keep game mechanics and game flavor in two different worlds. I use the mechanics as is, and let the players play with whatever flavor fits my vision of the campaign world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads