• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

reforging weapons

Sledge

First Post
By the rules is there any method of reforging a +5 longsword into say a bastard sword without destroying the enchantment?

drnuncheon

Explorer
I think reforging a blade would qualify as destroying it, so any magic would be lost.

An artificer from Eberron has (I believe) the ability to destroy a magic item and reuse some of the XP in it. That might be your best bet.

Alternately, find someone who has a +5 bastard sword and a whole bunch of feats devoted to longsword, and trade.

J

hong

WotC's bitch
Personally, I would allow it, but without any price break -- ie, it still costs the same as getting a new +5 bastard sword. There's no mechanical effect, but it just helps the feel of the game to be able to think of it as the same sword.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
There was a 7th-level spell that could switch magic powers between items in 2e.

I think it could only switch powers to a more valuable item so longsword -> bastard sword would have been okay.

iwatt

First Post
Someone's been reading a Song of Ice and Fire ;)

I'd allow it, probably just making the crafter pay the Masterwork cost/time again and maybe an ad hoc fraction of the XP cost. The materials have already been spent. But I'd certainly tien in an adventuer into this.

cmanos

First Post
I wouldn't allow it. Just because someone isn't proficient in the +5 Orc Double Axe of Smiting All who Stand In My Path, doesn't mean they can reforge it into two +5 Axes of Smiting All who Stand In My Path. No way. You want to use the weapon...become proficient in it or sell it to someone who can use it.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Although it could be argued that this wasn't technically reforging, I believe that some DMs would allow a wish to turn a +5 longsword into a +5 melee weapon of another sort. . . .

dave

Remove ads