• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Refresher on Prestige classes

CustosObscurus

First Post
I'm pretty experienced with the d20 rules system; I've played most of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale I and II, as well as KotOR. However, I'm still a n00b at the PnP game (2 sessions and counting!). I'm still a little shaky on prestige classes, though. In general, I'd like to know exactly how they work and how to go about getting one. But specifically:

1. Are there any requirements, other than the listed prerequisites?
2. Are there any penalties for becoming one (i.e. do they count as multiclassing, or are there other penalties)?
3. Once you complete a prestige class, do you go back and finish your basic class, or do you go on to another class?
3b. Is there a limit to the number of prestige classes a character can have?

Thanks for the help!

shilsen

Adventurer
CustosObscurus said:

No.

2. Are there any penalties for becoming one (i.e. do they count as multiclassing, or are there other penalties)?

No. They do not count as multi-classing.

3. Once you complete a prestige class, do you go back and finish your basic class, or do you go on to another class?

Your choice. With most prestige classes, you can switch back and forth between levels in the PrC and levels in your original or other class(es).

No.

All of the above may vary depending on DM fiat, but then so does your character tying his shoelaces, so it's not worth mentioning (though I just did :)).

CustosObscurus said:

There are if the DM wants there to be. For instance. in your game world, you can say:

1. That anyone who meets the prerequisites can take the Duelist prestige class. It represents an extension of the skills the character already possesses, and is something that anyone, given enough time, could probably figure out.

2. That the Assassin PrC requires acceptance into and several months of training by an actual Assassin's Guild. The prereqs represent the skills you need to possess before they'll even take a look at you.

3. That the art of the Arcane Archer is long lost, and only by discovering certain mystical texts in a long-forgotten elven tomb can the art be rediscovered.

It's generally a good idea to let your players know how any PrC they may be looking at entering works in your world.

A Prestige Class is just like any other class; it just has an entrance requirement. You must multiclass into it. However, it does not ever cause you to take a multiclassing XP penalty.

You can do whatever! There's not even any requirement that you take all of your levels in the PrC sequentially. For instance, my character could start off as a FIghter 5. Then, he multiclasses into PrC A 1. Then he takes another level of Fighter. Then PrC A again, then Fighter again, then PrC B.

He ends up as a Fighter 7 / PrC A 2 / PrC B 1.

Only if the DM sets one.

Sigdel

First Post
First off, welcome. Now on to the short answerers.

1: No. Your DM might have some, but that's up to him/her.
2: No. Wotc would not be that mean... I hope.
3: Yes. When you earned enough xp to go up a level you can choose to level up as your PrC or your base class.
3B: The rules say that there is no limit to the amount of PrC's you can pick up but your DM might have a problem with this. I heard it called "Cherry Picking." You stick with a class or PrC long enough to get want you want out of it then move on to the next. So you just end up a multiclass monster. With these types the most commonly said phrase is "Oh, I can do that."

Just ask yourself this when you find a PrC, "Is what I am getting from this PrC worth what I am losing in my base class?" For every level you pick up in a PrC, you lose out in an ability from your base class. For example, I had a halfling sorcerer who picked up the Dragon Disciple PrC. I stuck with it for 18 levels (sorc 11/ DD 7). I lost out in 7 levels of spellcasting. And for a sorc, that's not good. What I got in exchange from the DD was not worth the loss is spells and magic power. Like the guy from the last crusade said "You must choose wisely." I hope this helps some.

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, there are cases where about the only thing you lose out on is the opportunities put into qualifying for the prestige class; for example, if a Sorceror takes the time and effort to qualify for Archmage (all qualifications met with Sor 14, if you are careful), then the only thing the character loses out on for continuing to take Archmage is Familiar advancement - The skill selection for Archmage is something the Sor will likely want to invest heavily in anyway, but the feats and spell selection necessary can weaken the character a bit. About the only gains that the Sorceror has is the Sorceror's spell progression - which the Archmage continues completely - and the familiar progression (which the Archmage doesn't continue). For a Sorceror who elects not to have a familiar? All the loss to Archmage is represented in coming up with the pre-recs.... unless the campaign goes epic.

Storyteller01

First Post
CustosObscurus said:

Not to step on anyone's toes, but this one depends on your overall plan. If use start as a Multi-class restrictive character (monk or paladin for example), and take level in an unrelated PrC, you TECHNICALLY can't take levels in your previous class.

It's only really relavent if you have a anal DM or if your Cherry picking (X levels of monk/PrC/PrC/Fighter etc. PLayers get darned creative... :) )

ZuulMoG

First Post
I have a question...

If a PrC has a prerequisite for X ranks of a skill, do you have to spend X skill points to buy it as a class skill (or 2X points as a cross-class skill), or can you buy X (or 2X)-2 ranks and use your +2 ability modifier to supply the remaining needed competence at the skill?

Same question for feats.

Brain

First Post
ZuulMoG said:
I have a question...

If a PrC has a prerequisite for X ranks of a skill, do you have to spend X skill points to buy it as a class skill (or 2X points as a cross-class skill), or can you buy X (or 2X)-2 ranks and use your +2 ability modifier to supply the remaining needed competence at the skill?

Same question for feats.
Ranks means number of actual ranks in it, not just the overall skill bonus. So if a Prestige Class required 8 ranks in Swim, a Fighter would need to be level 5 and have put max ranks in it, for example. His strength is irrelevant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads