• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regaining Spell-like Abilities

Sporelock

First Post
Does an individual need to rest to regain spell-like abilities, or just allow a day to go by?

For example, a gnome casts his 1x day Speak with Burrowing Animals to gain info from a gopher. He has to keep moving and is not able to rest but a day goes by. Is he able to cast his Speak spell again, or does he need to rest?

Thanee

First Post
No rest necessary, they simply recharge in a day (though it is not clear what that means).

As for the recharging... generally you can just assume, that they are available again on the next morning.

Sometimes, more specifics are needed.

Here are two options, that probably work well:

a) There is one set point at each day, when the spell-like abilities (and daily charges from magic items, etc) recharge, i.e. at midnight, or dawn.

Optionally, one could also apply the recent casting limit here, and say, that only those recharge, which havn't been used within the last 8h before midnight. Those could then either not recharge at all during the day, or simply 8h later. This is mostly to prevent using an ability with a daily limit twice as often within mere minutes.

b) Each individual charge recharges exactly 24h (or one day, if they differ from the standard 24h) after it was used.

Bye
Thanee

Sporelock

First Post
Any idea where the rule might be on regaining spell-like abilities? My recollection is that rest is not necessary but I can't find or recall where the rule is.

Thanee

First Post
Well, there is no rule, that rest isn't necessary, much in the same way that there is no rule, that rest is necessary.

The default assumption is, that nothing is until it is called out, so since rest isn't called out specifically, it's not necessary. :)

Bye
Thanee

Nail

First Post
Sporelock said:
Any idea where the rule might be on regaining spell-like abilities? My recollection is that rest is not necessary but I can't find or recall where the rule is.
The rule is simply in the Sp description of the monster. 1/day just means "once per day", etc. :D

So if the monster has used the Sp already, the only question you ask is: "Did he use the Sp today?" If he did, then he has to wait until tomorrow. "Rest" is not required or asked for.

As for the use at 1 round before midnight and then 1 round after midnight: Don't sweat it. It's such a minor case, it not worth creating rules for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads