• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Regarding Competence

Thomas Shey

Legend
I still think 13th age has the best solution, which is to put hp caps on strong debuffs. This has two advantages:

1. You can still use them as finishers on powerful foes, you just have to rough them up a bit first.

2. You can fine-tune the hp limit based on the spell, so a spell that stuns a foe for a round has a higher hp cap than one that paralyzes them for a minute.

Yeah, the 13A version has its virtues too (though there can always be a question about what damaging does to make that work), but I'll still say the PF2e approach is better than the 3e/PF1e one. I know it doesn't suit some people, and I get why, but that "stall the monster until it fails a save" thing never seemed a virtue.

Staffan

Legend
Yeah, the 13A version has its virtues too (though there can always be a question about what damaging does to make that work), but I'll still say the PF2e approach is better than the 3e/PF1e one. I know it doesn't suit some people, and I get why, but that "stall the monster until it fails a save" thing never seemed a virtue.
Way I see it, hit points represent an awful lot of different things but they boil down to plot armor. Knock enough plot armor off, and you become vulnerable to more things.

I mean, it's a mechanic that already exists in 5e, just not on all that many spells: sleep, color spray, the power words. Maybe others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Way I see it, hit points represent an awful lot of different things but they boil down to plot armor. Knock enough plot armor off, and you become vulnerable to more things.

I mean, it's a mechanic that already exists in 5e, just not on all that many spells: sleep, color spray, the power words. Maybe others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Well, I'm not a person who's going to consider the fact D&D5e does something in a particular similar way a compliment. :)

Thomas Shey

Legend
Than you must really hate Pathfinder! ;)

Naw. Its still a D&D derivative, but it at least has enough moving parts in both character generation and play to be a somewhat satisfactory one, and it doesn't have much that actively annoys me the way Advantage/Disadvantage does other than, well, being a D&D derivative.

Remove ads