Regarding more Item Cards

photon1966

First Post
Printer Type

You asked what printer type I use

It is Ricoh Aficio 2035e

Very rarly does is misprint/alignment and that seems to happen when the paper isn't quite right in the tray.

jrichards

First Post
Love the cards, great alternative to some pricier options.

Here are my suggested additions:

1) Sheets of most common items (maybe one page of 9 of each): Potion Cure Light Wounds, Potion Cure Moderate Wounds, Ring of Protection +1, Amulet of Natural Armor +1. I prefer to use 1 card per item instead of marking quantities on cards because my players are HORRIBLE at marking off equipment when they use it. This is the primary reason I am using the cards, and it is better if they hand me a card when they drink a potion rather than trusting them to mark off a quantity. For this reason I would actually like a full sheet of each potion, but that's probably asking too much.

2) Cards for unidentified items, specifically potions and scrolls. I like to give an unidentified card to my players with a numeric code on it that is logged in my notes. Then when they identify unidentified potion number 15, I take back "unidentified potion 15" and hand them "Potion of XXXX" card. Right now I am going to use blank cards and write on them, but printed ones would be nicer.

That's it for now, I will probably come up with more as I use them more...

Jeff

SiderisAnon

First Post
You can make card copies

Morrus said:
The idea solution would be if the Adobe software actually late you put together your own custom card sheet by selecting the ones you want. But as far as I know, the technology isn't there yet. So the only way it could be done is "popular item" sheets - if an item counts as a popular item, it gets a sheet of its own with 9 copies on it. You can then print out one copy, two, three or whatever knowing that you're only printing out what you need.
If you have Adobe Professional, you can actually do this if the data is included in Text Fields or other fields. (This may work with versions of Adobe more advanced than Reader but less so than Professional, I don't actually know. I only have Adobe Pro 6.) There are actually two ways to do this that I've found. The first way is about copying fields, the second about copying images. Frankly, the second is probably the least complicated if you're not comfortable with fields in Adobe..

First Option:
I am going to use the blank item cards weapon page as an example. I know this will work with blank cards you have filled in from the free blank cards download. I do NOT know if this works with the actual full Complete Item Cards. The demo for that product does not have fields, just the text printed on the page.

1) Open up the page with the type of card you want.
2) Extract that page into another Adobe file. (Document->Page->Extract in 6.0)
3) Choose the Select Object Tool from the Advanced Editing menu.
4) Draw a box around the entire page so that you select every field. They'll turn blue.
5) Hit the delete key. All the fields go away. (This is the data filled in ONLY. You'll still have things like "Attack" and "Critical".
6) Open up the Adobe document with the item page you want to copy. If it's not the same as your original source (i.e. a weapon) then the boxes won't line up.
7) Using the same Select Object Tool you have already, draw a box around the card you want to copy. This will make all of its fields go blue.
8) Choose copy. (Ctrl-C or menu)
9) Go back to the blank page.
10) Choose paste. (Ctrl-V or menu)
11) Click on a field such as Weapon Name and drag the newly copied data over to line up with the background. I generally set up a grid beforehand and snap to it. (See the Adobe help on that.)
12) Repeat steps 10-11 to fill in all the spots. You can also copy something different over.
13) Save the file.

Another option on this one is that instead of step 12 is:
12) With the fields all still highlighted, right-click on one and choose "Create Multiple Copies".
13) Choose that you want 3 across and 3 down. You can adjust spacing as well, but things won't quite line up.
14) Move the various cards into their proper permission by selecting each set of items with a drawn box.
15) Save the file.

The advantage of the Multiple Copies one is that Adobe gives each field a unique name so you can now change any of the fields and it won't change all of the cards. If you use repeated Paste options, when you change one card, all of the other cards change too.

I've found that choosing "Reduce File Size" from the File menu really helps cut down on the size of files manipulated this way. Sometimes very drastically. (I don't know why they bloat.)

Second Option:
Using the same card as a sample. This WILL work with the item demo that I downloaded, so it should work with any cards. It's just not as versatile in the cards you produce. However, this option does allow you to mix and match types of cards. You could make a sheet with a weapon, an armor, a shield, and six more pieces of equipment on it. You could also add spells, monsters, and any other TOGC cards that are the same size.

This works much better if you set up a grid and snap to it for every step.

1) Open up a blank Adobe document. You can create one by printing to Adobe a blank page from Word or something similar. (You can also paste OVER existing cards with this, so that is also an option, plus you get cut lines then.)
2) Open up the page you want to copy a card from.
3) Zoom in on the card you want. The closer you get, the higher resolution of the final card.
4) Choose the Snapshot Tool from the Basic Menu.
5) Draw a box around the card you want to copy. This puts it into the buffer.
6) Go to the blank page.
7) Select the Paste Clipboard Image from the Advanced Commenting -> Attach Menu.
8) Draw a box exactly where the card should sit. The tool automatically pastes the image of the card in for you.
9) Save the file.

Basically, what you've just done is paste in an image of the card you want over whatever was already there. The nice thing is that you can change just one card on a page or make a whole sheet or whatever you want to do.

I don't remember, but I think you have to print "Document and Comments" to get the picture to show on the print.

SiderisAnon

First Post
Question Regarding Above

I do have a quick question on the Complete series. In the final product you buy, are there Text Fields that can be manipulated? If I buy Complete Items or Complete Monsters, do I get text fields I can edit to customize my cards (like in the blank ones) or do I just get images of the cards (like in the demos on RPGNow)?

Flyspeck23

First Post
SiderisAnon said:
I do have a quick question on the Complete series. In the final product you buy, are there Text Fields that can be manipulated? If I buy Complete Items or Complete Monsters, do I get text fields I can edit to customize my cards (like in the blank ones) or do I just get images of the cards (like in the demos on RPGNow)?

Off topic, but what the hey...
No text fields in the final product, sorry. But they aren't exactly images either - if you've got a version of Acrobat you'll be able to modify each card.

shoggothic

Explorer
Complete Item Cards Update on the radar screen?

Hi, just wondering if the Complete Item Cards Update was going to be available soon? I hope to grab them before everything starts to change to fit 4th Edition...I don't care what WoTC changed to stream-line the game, I'm sticking with the hundreds of dollars in 3.5 books I already have, not to mention the Complete Cards sets I own for the 3.5 SRD.

shoggothic

Explorer
Is there anybody out there?

Hello,

As an avid collector of all the "Complete Cards" series, I have been eagerly awaiting any news as to the updates for the "Complete Item Cards" set.

However, after several attempts to reach anyone via EnWorld and/or the e-mail address provided on the TOGC website, I am still waiting for someone, anyone, to respond. Are you still in business? If so, PLEASE respond to my query, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Greg

Harneloot

Explorer
buff cards

I have the same question about Buff cards:

Have the Buff cards been updated for purchase at RPGNOW?

What about the Bard buffs?

Remove ads