• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regarding Periapts of Wisdom, Headbands of Intellect, and Cloaks of Charisma

Jhaelen

First Post
1) As you may know, a lot of people (including me) think the FAQ's rulings are crap. At the very least, they are not RAW.
Yep, however, there's also a lot of people (including me and _maybe_ including the OPs DM) that consider the FAQ being just as good as RAW.

I think the best approach for a player is to gather all available evidence pointing one way or the other and present it to the DM to decide.

irdeggman

First Post
What about when the FAQ contradicts itself?

Go with Jhaelen's 2nd sentence.

I think the best approach for a player is to gather all available evidence pointing one way or the other and present it to the DM to decide.

Which is what I do. I look for a preponderance of evidence and always try to not rely on a single source.

If, as in this case, I can't find something that contradicts it - then that is what I use.

But regardless - it is always up to the DM as to how he/she rules on things - regardless of whether or not they are RAW. Every game is different, that is part of the reason why D&D has lasted so long.

Sil

First Post
I go with the "Persistence Theorem". (Bonuses have a persistent memory) Only because it solves other problems like a player casting all spells, and then removing and replacing the item. The slots, or really any and every losable advantage, has a memory of how it was used. This also stops night stick abuse and other potential abuses.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I go with the "Persistence Theorem". (Bonuses have a persistent memory) Only because it solves other problems like a player casting all spells, and then removing and replacing the item. The slots, or really any and every losable advantage, has a memory of how it was used. This also stops night stick abuse and other potential abuses.

I stop Night Stick abuse by banning Night Sticks. :)

If any player tried to abuse how i rule with regards to the stat boosters and bonus spells by using up the spells it grants and then putting on something more useful, I'd handle it the same way I handle most abuses of basic kindness: talk to him out of game and tell him to knock it off or I'll drop Texas on his character. That said, considering the int/wis/cha items are also adding to save DCs when you cast, I don't see it being a common issue for those items that players would actually switch them out mid day anyway. Swapping between 5 different Healing Belts (for example) would be far more common a rules abuse.

irdeggman

First Post

You still only get "spells per day" - it will not matter how many times you get a stat boost.

All spells must have a rested mind and a certain type of preparation (albeit only resting).

But no matter how much you "re-rest" or "re-pray" you still only get a certain number of spells per day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads