D&D 5E Regarding the Mage Hand cantrip spell...

Tonystar73

First Post
I know that in D&D 5e, a lot of problems can be resolved by simply homebrewing rules based on the DM's rulling. However, i want to know, following the rules set out by the Core Rulebooks, what the full limitations of the mage hand spell can do.

I know that in the PHB, a normal Mage hand spell can summon a Spectral floating hand, that can move within 30 feet of you, can manipulate objects, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item, pour contents out of a vial, can carry upto 10lb. in weight, and can not attack or activate spells.

Also in th PHB, an Arcane trickster can on top of all this, use the hand to stow and retreive items from containers and also use theieves tools to open locks or disarm traps.

So the question i want to ask, does the spectral floating mage hand have its own stats, or does it use the stats of the player?

I ask this as an acrance trickster uses there Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Perception) check, when perform one of the arcane trickster tasks. Would that same logic apply to a normal mage hand?

Would it also apply to making strength checks to throwing objects that are 10lb or less? etc...

Fanaelialae

Legend
I know that in D&D 5e, a lot of problems can be resolved by simply homebrewing rules based on the DM's rulling. However, i want to know, following the rules set out by the Core Rulebooks, what the full limitations of the mage hand spell can do.

I know that in the PHB, a normal Mage hand spell can summon a Spectral floating hand, that can move within 30 feet of you, can manipulate objects, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item, pour contents out of a vial, can carry upto 10lb. in weight, and can not attack or activate spells.

Also in th PHB, an Arcane trickster can on top of all this, use the hand to stow and retreive items from containers and also use theieves tools to open locks or disarm traps.

So the question i want to ask, does the spectral floating mage hand have its own stats, or does it use the stats of the player?

I ask this as an acrance trickster uses there Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Perception) check, when perform one of the arcane trickster tasks. Would that same logic apply to a normal mage hand?

Would it also apply to making strength checks to throwing objects that are 10lb or less? etc...

I would use the stats of the PC. Mage Hand doesn't really have stats.

That said, keep in mind that Mage Hand cannot attack, so it's questionable whether it can throw objects at all.

Satyrn

First Post
Yeah, that's my answer, too. Including the questionable bit, too; I don't know how I'd rule that - and I think I'd lean towards saying "no by RAW"

(though I ascribe to a "there's no such thing as RAW" philosophy)

Satyrn

First Post
Actually, I have an alternate answer.

Because the Arcane Trickster provides a rule allowing the rogue make certain skill/tool checks with the mage hand, we can conclude that the standard mage hand simply can't be used to do anything that requires a die roll. I mean, the spell gives no mechanic for it, after all.

thorgrit

Explorer
Out of curiosity, I looked up Carrying Capacity to see what an equivalent Strength score would be for a creature that could only lift 10 pounds...
Your carrying capacity is your Strength score multiplied by 15. This is the weight (in pounds) that you can carry,
This would put it at less than a strength score of 1. So if you wanted to measure it that way, you could have it roll at d20 -4 or -5.
(That's just one way to handle it of course)

As for other checks, I could argue the Arcane Trickster's Mage Hand Legerdemain represents careful study and practice with Mage Hand such that it's second nature, like a third hand. Others who haven't put forward that intense amount of practice might be limited to not making checks at all (anything difficult enough to have a chance of failure auto-fails) OR making an Intelligence (Arcana) check to guide the spell. Or if nobody at the table seems inclined to go at least rogue 3 to get that feature, I wouldn't feel bad about giving the class feature to someone else using Mage Hand, since toes won't be stepped on.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If 10 pound is the max carrying capacity, a throw would be feeble indeed, but I would allow a short range throw of a light object. However, I would rule that it wouldn't be able to actually *attack*. So for example you could use mage hand to throw a dagger at a guard to distract him... but the dagger would bounce off (or hit sideways, whatever) and not actually injure.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

Because the Arcane Trickster provides a rule allowing the rogue make certain skill/tool checks with the mage hand, we can conclude that the standard mage hand simply can't be used to do anything that requires a die roll. I mean, the spell gives no mechanic for it, after all.
This is exactly right.

Outside of an Arcane Trickster, the hand can do nothing that has the possibility of failure - if it needs a roll (to throw, to hit, to grab a scurrying insect), it can't do it.

An Arcane trickster *can* use it, as described, for certain dex checks etc.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
That said, keep in mind that Mage Hand cannot attack, so it's questionable whether it can throw objects at all.
In my game, Mage Hand can throw objects, but cannot deal damage with thrown objects. Our wizard did manage to start a fight between some soldiers and kobolds by making each side think the other had thrown mud at them.

Harzel

Adventurer

Because the Arcane Trickster provides a rule allowing the rogue make certain skill/tool checks with the mage hand, we can conclude that the standard mage hand simply can't be used to do anything that requires a die roll.

Wait. What? So the DM thinks, "Fizzbin the Wizard says he is using his Mage Hand to pluck Tribbles the goldfish out of its bowl. Well, that seems possible, but uncertain, so I will call for a DEX check. Wait, that means a die roll for the use of Mage Hand, so that must be impossible. Wait, since it is impossible, there is no reason for me to have contemplated a die roll, so I no longer have any basis for deciding that it is impossible..." Hours later, the DM, seemingly emerging from a fog, comes to and turns to the two players who are twins that he can never tell apart. Looking at one, he says, "I like you." Turning to the other, he continues, "However, I hate you."

A die roll is a procedure that a DM may use to tell whether an attempt to do something succeeds or fails. It is not an inherent property of an action.

I mean, the spell gives no mechanic for it, after all.

So then, anything for which the rules do not give an explicit mechanic is impossible? I don't mean to offend by throwing up a strawman, but you have stated this as if "the spell gives no mechanic for it" needs no qualification or other assumptions in order to conclude that the thing lacking stated mechanics is impossible.

Remove ads