Regarding the Mass Effect ENnies Nomination

Thank you to everybody – both publishers and fans, as well as artists – who took the time to reach out to us about the fan-created Mass Effect RPG nominated for three ENnies this year. The judges nominated this product in good faith, and judged it solely on its quality. Below we detail how we intend to change that process to avoid similar errors in future.

Thank you to everybody – both publishers and fans, as well as artists – who took the time to reach out to us about the fan-created Mass Effect RPG nominated for three ENnies this year. The judges nominated this product in good faith, and judged it solely on its quality. Below we detail how we intend to change that process to avoid similar errors in future.

This is a brand new situation for the ENnies – we’ve never had to worry about copyright law before, and the issue has never come up. Our initial position was that publishers and creators are responsible for managing their own legal affairs, and that it was not appropriate for us to assume or interfere other than to hold a basic assumption that entrants had covered their own legal bases and were in compliance with anything they needed to be. For 15 years, that has stood us in good stead, but we recognise that this year’s situation has highlighted a weakness in that system. So thank you for your patience while we figured out what we needed to do. We believe that IP issues are important, and while we are not lawyers, we believe that this product is in violation of basic IP law. We do note that the creator of the product in question does not share that opinion for a number of reasons.

We have also reached out to Bioware/EA, the owners of the Mass Effect IP, and have heard from artists whose work was used in the product, and have established since that some artwork was not used with permission. This is not something we are comfortable endorsing, and we wish we had realised it earlier in the process; however we can make changes now to ensure that we do so in future.

For future years, starting in 2016, we will be adding a new eligibility requirement for the ENnies. This will simply ask a publisher or creator to affirm that all contents of a product are their own property, public domain, or used under license or with permission, and will mean that any products not within the boundaries of IP law are subject to disqualification at any time. This rule will not apply to blogs, podcasts, or other specifically fan-creation award categories. We will provide more information about this eligibility requirement later, once the exact details have been hammered out and the potential pitfalls covered.

For this year, we have decided to disqualify the fan-created Mass Effect RPG on the basis of IP violations. The creator of the product, after discussion with him, has already been notified. Don Mappin, the creator of the product, has additionally told us that "Based on this outcome I will be removing the work and its associated files." We appreciate Don's understanding, and his willingness to work with us and provide us with information when asked.

As noted above, we recognize that the creator does not agree with this analysis, and we will work hard to ensure that a robust system will enable us to handle such disagreements in the future before they become an issue. In this particular case, though, we strongly feel that the situation is clear.

In place of the three disqualified nominations, the judges will be nominating alternates. Those nominations are in the categories of Best Electronic Book, Best Free Product, and Product of the Year. These will be announced very shortly, and before voting begins on July 4th.

We apologize for this situation. We believe and hope that we have now done the right thing. And we are glad for the opportunity to improve the ENnies a little, as we try to do every year. This rather blindsided us, although it does seem obvious in hindsight. And, as before, we thank those publishers and fans who reached out and shared their concerns with us, and for their patience while we put together our intentions for this year and coming years.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I find it more than a bit hypocritical of game designers to pull out the torches and pitchforks whilst claiming it's about copyright and IP. Designers were pissed that a fan made game was given a nod over their professional efforts pure and simple.

Don't believe me? Here's how you can tell. Were any of these same professionals bitching about the Mass Effect book (or any other fan-made game for that matter) the day before this nomination was announced? Nope. Not one cared about the same copyright or IP problems before the nod came, but once it did... it's all about ethics in copyright.

Elvish Lore

Explorer
I find it more than a bit hypocritical of game designers to pull out the torches and pitchforks whilst claiming it's about copyright and IP. Designers were pissed that a fan made game was given a nod over their professional efforts pure and simple.

Don't believe me? Here's how you can tell. Were any of these same professionals bitching about the Mass Effect book (or any other fan-made game for that matter) the day before this nomination was announced? Nope. Not one cared about the same copyright or IP problems before the nod came, but once it did... it's all about ethics in copyright.

If you're saying the nomination triggered all this, you're right. But that's entirely fair given that the product, full of stolen IP, was up for awards against products put together by publishers who authored their own IP or properly paid for it, paid for artists, etc. What else do you think these nominations are based on? What do you think an award like 'product of the year' means? The guy took the Bulldogs engine, tweaked it for Fate Core, and 'borrowed' all the art.

Don wants to do a fan product because he loves Fate and Mass Effect? Great, author away. Don submits all this for a hobby award knowing full well this is all illegal? He tries to sell it through Drivethru? He actually does sell it through Lulu? He should have known better and he acted foolishly.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

You're making the big assumption that Mappin's ME book was on their radar before the nomination was announced.

Designers were pissed that a fan made game was given a nod over their professional efforts pure and simple.
Considering I don't even bother submitting to the ENnies but still thought it was bad form to accept something that could potentially receive an award despite illegally using someone else's IP, I think you'll find you're making a big assumption.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Anyone who went to his website could see his disclaimer, from what I remember, that he made it as a fan and to show that anybody who put in a little bit of effort can put together a quality product... But he NEVER sold it. He provided us the files for US to take it to Lulu so WE paid our own money to get it self published for our own personal uses.

That's it.

Now, I like it got nominated, if only that it shows and proved his point that while so many 'published' works have a lot more backing and money behind it... Here's a product by a single person, who did his own layout, put it all together, did it all himself... That's BETTER than most of the published stuff out there.

Now if these awards are based on quality, and it was up for the FREE product category... Well this product based on those alone should qualify.

If I was Bioware, I'd hire this guy to do an official adaptation. He proved he could do it.

He made one of the better Fate game products by himself.

And yes, as long as Bioware never told him to stop sharing the files, why should he stop now?

Anyone who went to his website could see his disclaimer, from what I remember, that he made it as a fan and to show that anybody who put in a little bit of effort can put together a quality product... But he NEVER sold it.
It is a myth that no copyright infringement occurs so long as you don't earn money from it. There are other thresholds for Fair Use protection (which is what covers this sort of thing -- using someone else's IP without permission), and profit is just one of them. You can see them in Section 107 of the Copyright Law. Here are the other three thresholds (each of which is largely open to interpretation):

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.​

The work tripped up on #2 because it was meant to be a direct reworking of the original work in a new medium. It wasn't a parody, it wasn't for educational purposes, etc. It was meant to be an instance of "hey, do you like the Mass Effect video game? Well now you can play it as a pen and paper RPG using my work!" On it's own, not likely a big deal, but when you add ...

The work tripped up on #3 because it used a lot of the original copyrights, including art. How this benchmark usually applies in Fair Use is, for example, a review posting a small quote or a few accompanying pictures. Once you start using enough of the IP that the new work no longer requires referencing the original (in other words, you can play the pen and paper RPG without referencing the video game) you are likely going to be considered to be using a "substantial" portion of the original IP.

As for #3, well ... if someone, as a fan, is using a game company's IP without permission in such a way that it gets through the voting process to be nominated for gaming awards, that is a VERY easy argument to make that the work's existence dilutes the value of a Mass Effect official RPG license being able to enter the market at its full potential. The existence of Don's unlicensed and unapproved work leaves people saying "well, now I don't need to buy an official one if that ever comes out because I'm satisfied with Don's. It got into the ENnies, after all, so it must be top quality!" Don's product is using the IP owner's own IP without permission to potentially take money out of their pockets. This is, in my opinion, the biggest aspect of Fair Use that Don would get hit by if Bioware went after him, and submitting it to the ENnies and other awards only made the situation worse for him.

He provided us the files for US to take it to Lulu so WE paid our own money to get it self published for our own personal uses.
I don't know if it was you who did it, but someone also put it up on Lulu and charged for it. Regardless of whether or not any net profit was obtained by doing so, the fact that people were able to obtain it in print by providing money to a third party without a proper license being in place is outright, unarguably, infringement. Also, distribution of infringing materials is actionable by the IP owners as well. So, giving ANYONE the files, but especially so that people could put them up on Lulu, most certainly constitutes as infringing distribution. As a matter of precedent, because the files are digital each instance of distribution isn't tallied by how many people receive the files. If they wanted to, the IP owners could count each time the files changed media (including one person taking them off their laptop and putting them on to a USB, for instance, or even loading them into RAM to look at them) as an instance of infringing distribution.

Here's a product by a single person, who did his own layout, put it all together, did it all himself... That's BETTER than most of the published stuff out there.
A lot of people do this. You just described most every small press publisher putting out good looking stuf.

Now if these awards are based on quality, and it was up for the FREE product category... Well this product based on those alone should qualify.
Sure, if not for that pesky problem about IP infringement. "It needs to be legal" should not be a difficult threshold to meet for entering an awards process.

If I was Bioware, I'd hire this guy to do an official adaptation. He proved he could do it.
Unfortunately, the use of the IP and his ongoing stance of "I didn't do anything wrong or infringing" (to paraphrase) also presents him as a liability.

He made one of the better Fate game products by himself.
Agreed, it was top quality.

And yes, as long as Bioware never told him to stop sharing the files, why should he stop now?
You mean why shouldn't he keep going until he does come to Bioware's attention, except at that point even more people have downloaded and distributed it, meaning he'd be even deeper trouble -- including financially if a damages ruling was successful against him and a fee levied per instance of proven distribution?

Look, no one's going to deny that fans create material based on IPs and just about never bother getting permission. However, most also just host it on their website and let people get it as they will without submitting it to industry awards processes. This is why most IP owners don't care about it. But when the fan who created it a) is actually also a professional who makes similar products for profit, b) the creator registers (and thus is technically squatting on) a domain using the IP owner's trademark, and c) signs the work up for several awards where professionals also participate, the context of it "just" being a fan creation shifts away from the standard of fan creation that IP owners don't bother with and is pushed into a context that could very easily be worrisome to the IP owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Thank you for clearing a lot of that for me. :)

I didn't know any of the details of a lot of the technicalities. I certainly didn't put up any files on lulu... I'm totally confused on how all that works.

I got educated today. I don't mind. I do appreciate you sharing all that with me.

Thank you for clearing a lot of that for me. :)

I didn't know any of the details of a lot of the technicalities. I certainly didn't put up any files on lulu... I'm totally confused on how all that works.

I got educated today. I don't mind. I do appreciate you sharing all that with me.
No problem. I'm a bit of a copyright geek (if there is such a thing), so I enjoy writing and talking about the subject.

If you're interested enough to know more, here's an article I wrote about it last year, much of which touches on the RPG industry.

http://trustrum.com/copyright-myths/

Morlock

Banned
Banned
He's not selling it. He's not profiting by it. It's a pure labor of love. Sorry, I disagree with this particular choice. If Bioware/EA itself had not contacted him to pull it, then there is no reason to. Now if they did, than I'd agree. But if not, than no reason to.

This.

aramis erak

Legend
No problem. I'm a bit of a copyright geek (if there is such a thing), so I enjoy writing and talking about the subject.

If you're interested enough to know more, here's an article I wrote about it last year, much of which touches on the RPG industry.

http://trustrum.com/copyright-myths/

there was, in the 90's, a formula for visual media that determined whether or not it counted as derivative... it was blackletter law at the time, but the section has since been revised. Change of medium was a 10% difference, and 15 percent was required to assert separate copyright. (So, a photo of a painting wasn't, at the time, a separate copyright, but changing the color scheme with filters was.)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads