• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regeneration of decapitation

TBoarder

Explorer
What happens to a creature or character with the regeneration ability if they get their head cut off by something that doesn't cause real damage to them? Does it kill them? Would a new body regrow from the head or would a new head regrow from the body? If it's the later, would there be any memory issues (since a new brain had to be regrown)?

Last edited:

Cullain

First Post
TBoarder said:
If it's the later, would there be any memory issues (since a new brain had to be regrown)?

In D&D, memories seem to reside with the soul, not the body. If a character is resurrected or reincarnated, they retain all the skills they previously had, even though they'd have(theoretically) entirely new neural networks. So I wouldn't say there would be any memory issues. YMMV.

Cullain

I don't think regenerating creatures can keep going after head loss. I think they can reattach the head if something else place it back on the neck, but I'm not sure. The only real ways to cut off the head anyway would be to hack the darn thing off while holding it helpless, or with a vorpal blade. Or maybe you got lucky and it got the guillotine somehow.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The description of trolls in 2E (*shudder*) includes their surviving and even walking around without heads, thiough they weren't effective in combat. I guess that would work in a pinch. The Monsterous Manual has a large portion of the culture explaining this...

How would the finger know if the rest of the body was obliterated? I would think if the finger were to grow another stubby troll with an enormous fiddler-crab-like finger then it would do so regardless of the existence of the rest of the body. I do remember horrible stories about dogs or something who ate a dismembered finger of a trols only for the half-developed troll to explode form the dog's stomach Alien-style several days later. Of course this begs the effects of stomach acid on a troll's regenerative abilities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads