• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regeneration Q....

Ragnar Rocker

First Post
I was thinking about battling trolls with flaming weapons and alchemists fire and things like that and wondering how it's supposed to work.

I mean, if somebody strikes a troll with a flaming longsword, is all damage done actual damage, or just that 1d6 from the flaming? If the latter, then trolls are a lot more dangerous than i realized.

And with the alchemists fire, could you just kill it by dousing it with a vial when it collapses for a bit from beating on it, or would you need several vials to make sure you do enough fire damage?

milo

First Post
I think it would just be the 1D6 damage from flaming that was actual damage from the flaming longsword, you could allow a Coup de Grace with the alchemist's fire that could kill the troll, but otherwise I think you would need to just keep dumping the alchemist's fire or burning him with torches to kill a troll

Caliber

Explorer
For the flaming longsword, I would say only the 1d6 is 'Fire' damage.

However, as to your second question, I remember reading somewhere that after knocking a creature with regeneration out, they could be CDG'ed with whatever type of element did real damage to them. So just knock the troll out and CDG with a flask of Alchemist Fire. Have a few on hand if he makes those Fort Saves though.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Ragnar Rocker said:
I mean, if somebody strikes a troll with a flaming longsword, is all damage done actual damage, or just that 1d6 from the flaming? If the latter, then trolls are a lot more dangerous than i realized.
Let's assume a +1 flaming longsword wielded by a 5th level fighter (+5 BAB) with a 16 Strength (+3). Ignore feats for this example. The fighter hits the troll and does 1d8+4 damage for the longsword and +1d6 more fire damage. The troll suffers 1d8+4 subdual damage and 1d6 normal damage. The troll would regenerate 5 points of that subdual damage at the beginning of his next turn and each turn after that until it is all healed. The troll does not regenerate the fire damage (or acid damage). This only heals normally. IOW, all damage done to a troll is subdual damage except damage from fire or acid.

And with the alchemists fire, could you just kill it by dousing it with a vial when it collapses for a bit from beating on it, or would you need several vials to make sure you do enough fire damage?
To kill it you would have to inflict more normal damage on it than it has hit points (or to -10, however your DM does it). If you do not, then it will eventually regenerate the subdual damage. The only way to inflict normal damage to a troll is with fire or acid. You may perform a coup de grace with fire or acid weapons, too, according to the MM. Also, don't forget about attacks that do not inflict hit point damage, like disintegrate spells. These can kill trolls, too.

Remove ads