• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

regeneration

does anyone have stats for a playable *low level adjustment* race with regeneration. i realize that regen is pretty powerful, just wondering if anyone has anything. thanks in advance for the help.

Pyrex

First Post
There was a thread on this a while back I think.

Firstly what do you mean by 'Low'? (+0? +1? +3)

Once option I posted to the previous thread was that to keep LA down, "Regeneration 0" is actually still pretty powerful because it converts so much incoming damage to easily-healed Subdual.

Without some hefty drawbacks and/or a long list of damage sources that defeat the regeneration, Regeneration 1 is worth about LA+2 all by itself...

by low i mean somewhere around +1, apparently the trolls in WOW are +1 with regen, but as i don't have access to that book i figured it'd be best to ask here if anyone has anything similar.

Pyrex

First Post
It's probably possible to construct a balanced +1LA race with Regen 1, but it would need some hefty penalties.

It'd probably be easier to balance with 2-4 Monstrous Humanoid hit dice along with the +1 LA

Slaved

First Post
As this is house rules how about a race with something like this:

Regeneration -1
(list of what bypasses it). Each round this ability converts one point of nonlethal damage that you have into lethal damage.

It is strong but likely passable for a player character with a low level adjustment and low racial hit dice. If done properly maybe even zero on each.

Pyrex

First Post
Why would any player want an ability that converted nonlethal damage into lethal damage?

I can only assume you meant that the other way around as converting lethal damage into nonlethal is much more useful. :p

Definately a strong ability, but it should probably be called something else.

Actually, it's probably easier just to skip it and grant Fast Healing instead...

Slaved

First Post
Pyrex said:
Why would any player want an ability that converted nonlethal damage into lethal damage?

Regeneration converts lethal into nonlethal unless you can bypass it.

This ability would do the same but over time it would turn it back into lethal damage.

guardianfallenangel said:
fast healing is good, and somtimes great, but it lacks the ability to regrow severed limbs. which is kinda what i'm looking to have the race be able to do.

My suggestion would allow the reattatch/regrow options. Just add in some text about it being extremely painful and placing some penalties on the character while it is doing it along with dealing some damage :)

Pyrex

First Post
Slaved said:
Regeneration converts lethal into nonlethal unless you can bypass it.

This ability would do the same but over time it would turn it back into lethal damage.

That still doesn't make a lot of sense, all it does it make your players to a little more math to determine the optimal time to apply cure spells.

Slaved

First Post
Given the problem presented (low LA + regeneration) it makes perfect sense. A little bit of flavor text and it would make perfect sense as presented on a creature.

It gives the desired ability and makes for an interesting time without being overpowered.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads