• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Relentless Slayer (Avenger PP) question

Orcus Porkus

First Post
The level 12 utility, Relentless Fervor, confuses me.

Daily
bullet.gif
Divine, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, when you make two attack rolls because of your oath of enmity, make the rolls one at a time. If the first attack roll hits, you can choose to use the second attack roll as a melee basic attack against another enemy within reach.

Since the oath of enmity power only works if the oath target is the only adjacent enemy, how can you possibly make an attack against another target? This works only with reach weapons (not a good choice for avengers to begin with) or some weird magic items like Farslayer weapon.
Am I overlooking something?

Mort_Q

First Post
Am I overlooking something?

Not that I could see on a quick read through the class and path.

Weird, though an easy errata...

Effect: Until the stance ends, you can use your oath of enmity against an enemy even when the target is not the only enemy adjacent to you. In addition, when you make two attack rolls because of your oath of enmity, make the rolls one at a time. If the first attack roll hits, you can choose to use the second attack roll as a melee basic attack against another enemy within reach.

... or something. Makes you wonder what got changed along the way that the editors could miss that.

Llamas Notsheep

First Post
One of many, MANY examples showing that the people who wrote Divine Power had no idea whatsoever how the avenger mechanic works. The ONLY time that power will ever function as written is when you're using a reach weapon. Which you would ONLY do to use that stance, because you don't get your oath benefit unless you're adjacent to your oath target.

They should have kicked everyone off the design team for that section of the book who didn't work on the original avenger class in PHB2. Whoever was working on it apparently missed that controller is supposedly the avenger's secondary role rather than its primary, and that the avenger can't use his primary mechanic with ranged implement attacks.

Remove ads