• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Relics from the Starfall campaign

NMcCoy

Explorer
So the campaign I'm currently playing in is utterly amazing, and part of what's awesome is that players are greatly encouraged to contribute both fluff and crunch. I figured that I might as well share some of the items that have showed up in the game, most of which I created the mechanics for to fit a narrative role specified by the DM. (Note that the power level of our game is rather intense, as we're playing with Aspects and Fate Points, and have been facing world-shaking events since early Heroic tier. Suitability for your game may very greatly.)

Hammer of the Smith
Critical: + 3d8 damage
Smash Armor (Free action * at-will)
Trigger: you miss a target's AC by exactly 1
Effect: The target takes a -1 penalty to AC until the end of the encounter. This effect is cumulative with itself.
Demolish (Standard action * at-will) Melee weapon
You smash a 1-square area of nonmagical, nonliving material (such as a floor or a wall) into rubble. If you affect an entire square with this power, the square becomes difficult terrain.
Notes: This is deliberately a very powerful item, as it was created from the fallen remains of a major god.

Dragon's Kiss
Level: 10
Price: 5,000 gp
Weapon: Dagger
Enhancement: +2 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +2d6 fire damage
Property: When this weapon deals fire damage to an ally, that ally gains temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt + twice this weapon's enhancement bonus.
Power (At-Will • Fire): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is fire damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
Notes: This item was crafted by my character as a present for his NPC love interest, and named after an obscure magical principle that he rediscovered and used in its making. It later was revealed that my PC is in fact a dragon. Such is the way of things in the world of Starfall.

Seer's End
Weapon:
Longsword
Encounter * Standard Action
Melee Weapon
Attack: Intelligence, Charisma, or Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] psychic damage. Choose one effect from the list below.
* The target is blinded (save ends).
* The target is deafened (save ends).
* The target is unsteady (save ends). While the target is unsteady, all forced movement against the target is increased by 2 squares, and if the target willingly moves without shifting it falls prone at the end of that movement.
* The target is numb (save ends). While the target is numb, whenever it deals damage with a melee or close attack, it takes half of that damage as well.
* The target loses blindsight, tremorsense, or truesight until the end of the encounter.
Notes: This is a spirit-sword won by one of the PCs in a rather violent riddle contest with a rakshasa. It has the narrative ability to slice off a creature's senses; the DM tasked me with making this ability combat-applicable in an interesting manner. I couldn't find a good way to make the loss of smell or taste relevant in combat, but think I did well with touch and proprioception.

Comments and feedback appreciated; I'll post more items if there's interest.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Hammer of the Smith

Trigger: you miss a target's AC by exactly 1
Effect: The target takes a -1 penalty to AC until the end of the encounter. This effect is cumulative with itself.[/SIZE]
Oooh. I like that.

I can see players shouting at the wielder "Roll high, but not too high!"--especially early in the combat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads