Religion in Your Campaign – Priests and Congregations

As we mentioned in a previous article, you need not be a priest to follow a religion. So in this article we continue a look at religion in terms of how priests might relate to the religious communities they lead.

As we mentioned in a previous article, you need not be a priest to follow a religion. So in this article we continue a look at religion in terms of how priests might relate to the religious communities they lead.

healer-6692464_960_720.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Are Priests Divine?

Every faith needs a body of adherents. Even the most exclusive faiths need a few lay members at least to keep the idea of the religion in the minds of a community. As priests are expected to minister to these congregations, they need to form a relationship with them.

It is generally assumed most people are ‘called’ to any faith. Essentially, you don’t become a priest and make the sacrifices usually expected of you unless you have a certain dedication and belief. But some religions go a little further to say their god picks their priests and calls them to their service. In some cases this can mean that priests are literally touched by the deity in some way and granted a piece of their divine power.

While spells are the most obvious embodiment of this, what we really mean here is that they are assumed to have a channel or conduit to the deity that others simply do not. In such cases this often means the priests are the only ones who can commune with the divine. While anyone can offer prayer, only those of a priest truly reach the ears of the deity. In all cases their connection to the divine is the only way for supplicants to reach their god. This puts priests in a very powerful position as only through them can the faith be accessed.

But priestly divinity is not always a given. Many faiths insist that everyone is equal in the eyes of their deity and while priests have a role to play in leading a congregation, anyone can access the divine and be heard by their god.

In game terms this most obviously applies to priestly magic and who can access it. If a priest must be called to service by their god, only those with that connection can cast spells, and by that measure all who do cast spells must have the touch of the divine. So non-priest classes who use such magic must either be blessed or cannot use such spells. This might even extend to magic items that use clerical magic, which might be inert in the hands of the unfaithful. If divinity is not required, then not only can anyone use cleric magic, but those who are especially faithful might find themselves able to do so regardless of class.

What Are Priests For?

While it is usually the job of a priest to officiate in a religion, that can mean many different things. Some faiths just need someone to look after the place of worship and open the doors for mass communion. Others are there to lead grand rituals and give the congregation a certain glamour and pomp. Some are simply there as advisors and caregivers.

Rather than officiating, some priests are meant to serve as examples for the congregation to follow. They might be working towards enlightenment or simply lead a purer or more dedicated life to show their followers that it can be done. This might also include walking a path so that they can advise and help others follow that path. This will often depend on the deity they follow and whether they focus on worship or the personal development of the faith’s adherents. While many priests follow a combination of the above, different faiths might prioritise certain things.

How Accessible Are Priests?

The more divine a priest is assumed to be, the more unapproachable they might be. While a priest is meant to minister to a ‘flock’ some might still be too important to be spoken to by just anyone as far as the religion is concerned. In general, a religion that refuses adherent access to its priests isn’t going to last long. But when they can speak to them and how they can do so might still be limited. This may also depend on their position in the church hierarchy. If it is a large one with many levels, do the higher ranking priests have less and less to do with the rank and file of the faith?

Even if a priest is available all the time, the religion may demand different things at different times. So they might listen to confessions only when the sun is out, or can only advise on marital affairs after a period of abstinence (and what they have to abstain from might be different for each faith). Often, rules like these are put in not to reduce the time a priest has to help their followers, but to make sure that time is apportioned for everything so no one’s needs go unaddressed. But this can still be frustrating when it is very important for you to know if you are allowed to go adventuring on an upcoming holy day and the priesthood only deals with adventuring enquiries during the summer months.

Can the Priests Command?

One of the reasons many players resist the idea of having a faithful character who isn’t a priest, is that they don’t want the priest character in the group able to tell them what to do. Here we come back to the idea that following a faith need not make you a fanatic. You can follow a deity and just ask your priestly fellow adventurer for the odd blessing or religious advice as you make your way down the dungeon. Conversely, you might have a wizard, barbarian or even thief who is very dedicated to following the tenets of the faith.

Very few religions insist that adherents can be ordered to do things by the priesthood. Instead, priests often lead by advice. They will have great sway in any community, as that community usually goes to them to ask what they should do in their daily lives. But there isn’t usually a church law that says they are bad people for not following that advice. Selfish or manipulative priests can do a lot of damage but they still have to be careful how they tell people what to do.

This means that following the same religion as a priest player character doesn’t place you in their thrall. Priests are not often the party leader, but they are very often the party advisor. The paladins can lead the charge, but the priest will often suggest where they think evil can be found and what the best way to deal with that evil, or how to punish it, might be.

In general, in playing a priest it is important to remember that leading the faith community in some way is just as important as their personal relationship with their deity. Being a priest is as much about the job of looking after the faithful as it is following the word of their deity.

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

Amrûnril

Adventurer
But priestly divinity is not always a given. Many faiths insist that everyone is equal in the eyes of their deity and while priests have a role to play in leading a congregation, anyone can access the divine and be heard by their god.

It's also worth noting that some faith traditions express this perspective by expanding who, from a theological standpoint, is considered a "priest" and using a different title for the associated leadership role ("priesthood of all believers" is a phrase used to express this idea in some protestant traditions). "Clergy" might be a better/more general term for the people filling the leader/officiant role that's primarily being discussed here.

Some additional topics/questions to consider:

Training: How much education is expected of a prospective clergy member? Formal or informal? In what fields? Doctrine? Rhetoric (useful for preaching)? Counselling? Comparative Religions? History and Languages (important for understanding the context behind religious texts)? Magic? Expectations and priorities here can say a lot about a religious tradition or institution.

Governance: Any institution is going to operate according to some set of rules. In the context of religion, that could mean anything from consensus-based decision making in autonomous congregations to a worldwide hierarchical structure. This structure will determine how clergy are chosen, what forms of authority they have, and who they're expected to answer to. In many settings, church governance structures are also likely be intertwined in some fashion with state authority. And if a setting features deities who express themselves in frequent and unambiguous ways, it's worth considering what influence this will have over governing practices.

When the campaign uses a polytheistic setting with actual deities and miracles known as fact in the world, some knowledge of the afterlife would be a must-have in my opinion, so that people won't be hesitant to embrace a faith due to wondering what the other gods have to offer for eternal rest. A bit of transparency is needed when competing for a share of people's daily lives even if they worship multiple gods at the same time.

Yaarel

He Mage
Religion belongs to the players. Not the DM. Certainly not the WotC designers.

Ideally, the core rules of D&D are inclusive, and encourage each culture sensitvity and each individual to create ones own sacred Cleric concept that one is comfortable with.

Hex08

Hero
Religion belongs to the players. Not the DM. Certainly not the WotC designers.
In a published game with set rules and/or if you are using a published setting then it belongs to all three. While you can certainly ignore or change anything published by WotC and remove them from the equation, in a cooperative game, which most RPGs are, both the player and the DM are involved. Some DMs may be more open and let the players have free reign, others may be running games with very specific religions and ideologies which will impose restrictions on the players.

Yaarel

He Mage
In a published game with set rules and/or if you are using a published setting then it belongs to all three. While you can certainly ignore or change anything published by WotC and remove them from the equation, in a cooperative game, which most RPGs are, both the player and the DM are involved. Some DMs may be more open and let the players have free reign, others may be running games with very specific religions and ideologies which will impose restrictions on the players.
Mostly agree.

The thing is, the topic of religion is a "session zero" conversion along with other sensitive topics to make sure everyone is on the same page.

The default has to be that the core Cleric class encourages any kind of sacred tradition, along the lines of the "cosmic force" in Xanathars. Shaman, elementalist, priest, miracleworker, teacher, sage, elder, oracle, psychic, etcetera, animist, atheist, polytheist, monotheist, monist, ethicist, etcetera, are all valid examples of a "clergy". It depends on the culture and its concept of the sacred.

I agree the choice of sacred tradition involves both the player and the DM. The player 100% controls the character and the DM 100% controls the setting, and religions are one of the areas that overlap. But this is also the case for background, language, choice of race, place of birth, etcetera.

However, religion is a reallife sensitive cultural and ethnic identity issue, and it is the responsibility of the DM to be inclusive and to make sure each player is comfortable with how a campaign will handle religion. Thus it is a session zero conversion.

Last edited:

Hex08

Hero
The default has to be that the core Cleric class encourages any kind of sacred tradition.

However, religion is a reallife sensitive cultural and ethnic identity issue, and it is the responsibility of the DM to be inclusive and to make sure each player is comfortable with how a campaign will handle religion. Thus it is a session zero conversion.
I have a feeling we won't see eye to eye here (and that's fine), but I don't agree that the default core Cleric class has to encourage any kind of sacred tradition. Yes, religion is a sensitive issue but I think we are talking about fantasy religions here and the in-game worship of Corellon Larethian or Cyric is not the same as a discussion of real world religions. Sure, if a player and DM are new to one another I grant that some people may feel the need to discuss religion but, in my 40+ years of gaming, I never have. I have 2 gaming groups and across those groups I have/had players who are atheists, pagans, Jews, Christians and some players whose religious beliefs never came up and the ages range from early 20s to mid 50s and there has never been a need to have such a discussion.

I am willing to grant that other gaming groups are different from mine and that may call for different styles at those tables but, from my perspective, the default core Cleric needs to fit the cosmology of the game and that all involved have a say within the bounds of the game. Maybe that means that I won't mesh well with some players I may meet in the future and if so we can part ways if our gaming styles are too different, no harm or foul.

Yaarel

He Mage
I have a feeling we won't see eye to eye here (and that's fine), but I don't agree that the default core Cleric class has to encourage any kind of sacred tradition. Yes, religion is a sensitive issue but I think we are talking about fantasy religions here and the in-game worship of Corellon Larethian or Cyric is not the same as a discussion of real world religions. Sure, if a player and DM are new to one another I grant that some people may feel the need to discuss religion but, in my 40+ years of gaming, I never have. I have 2 gaming groups and across those groups I have/had players who are atheists, pagans, Jews, Christians and some players whose religious beliefs never came up and the ages range from early 20s to mid 50s and there has never been a need to have such a discussion.

I am willing to grant that other gaming groups are different from mine and that may call for different styles at those tables but, from my perspective, the default core Cleric needs to fit the cosmology of the game and that all involved have a say within the bounds of the game. Maybe that means that I won't mesh well with some players I may meet in the future and if so we can part ways if our gaming styles are too different, no harm or foul.
Polytheism is a real life religion. The Players Handbook even mentions figures like Thor and gods like Zeus.

Perhaps you dont understand how serious these issues are in some ethnic groups around the world?

Hex08

Hero
Polytheism is a real life religion. The Players Handbook even mentions figures like Thor and gods like Zeus.

Perhaps you dont understand how serious these issues are in some ethnic groups around the world?
Polytheism is real, the worship of the gods of Grayhawk isn't. Remember the pagan I mentioned in my gaming group? He believes in the Norse gods.

I do understand that some people take religion seriously. However, not every serious issue has a place around the gaming table and while I certainly wouldn't be a jerk to someone at mine because of their religious beliefs these are the kinds of discussions that would suck the joy out of my game if I had to have them. As I mentioned, in 40+ years of gaming with people of various faiths (or none) across wide age groups this has never been an issue. Since you aren't willing to grant that we have differing views on the topic and that maybe that's ok, should I then assume that you are telling me that I should change my habits to accommodate something that has never been relevant? Are you telling me that if I accepted a new player at my table and their religion came into conflict with the way our game is played that myself and the rest of the gaming group should change to accommodate that person? Why wouldn't it make more sense for all involved to realize that the new player just isn't a good fit and everyone move on?

Yaarel

He Mage
Polytheism is real, the worship of the gods of Grayhawk isn't. Remember the pagan I mentioned in my gaming group? He believes in the Norse gods.

I do understand that some people take religion seriously. However, not every serious issue has a place around the gaming table and while I certainly wouldn't be a jerk to someone at mine because of their religious beliefs these are the kinds of discussions that would suck the joy out of my game if I had to have them. As I mentioned, in 40+ years of gaming with people of various faiths (or none) across wide age groups this has never been an issue. Since you aren't willing to grant that we have differing views on the topic and that maybe that's ok, should I then assume that you are telling me that I should change my habits to accommodate something that has never been relevant? Are you telling me that if I accepted a new player at my table and their religion came into conflict with the way our game is played that myself and the rest of the gaming group should change to accommodate that person? Why wouldn't it make more sense for all involved to realize that the new player just isn't a good fit and everyone move on?
Maybe you havent been exposed to the concerns of other cultures?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads