Remebering blast vs burst

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yeah, but there aren't far blasts, are there?
In Paragon there are a bunch of ways to get them:
- Hermetic Saboteur
- Arcane Reach
- some familiar, or familiar feat

... but that's irrelevant, because "like" is a matter of preference, and someone else's preference isn't a fight that can be won through logic.

Cheers, -- N

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't find this one hard at all. The words have different connotations in the English language, and their game use matches those connotations.

I can see how it might be difficult for a non-native speaker of English, though.

weem

First Post
I don't find this one hard at all. The words have different connotations in the English language, and their game use matches those connotations.

I can see how it might be difficult for a non-native speaker of English, though.

Ouch, haha.

I'm gonna tell my players to "fix their f-ing English" (next time someone messes it up) I'm sure they will appreciate it, hehe.

I have a few players that are not that great with it, but I don't feel it's a lack of understanding English as much as it has to do with the quick pace of the game and stumbling over the similarity of the words - you have a bunch of things on your mind and this one gets jumbled from time to time.

I would say this is a pretty typical example...

PC1: "So I move here, I'm not sure between these powers... and let's see... wait... blast is which again?"
PC2: "adjacent box"
PC1: "Ohhh, right, duh"

...it's a "thinking out-loud" issue most of the time I think (in our case) ...you could say that if they were to stop and think about it visually (slow down a bit) etc, it makes sense, but in the heat of combat when things can get pretty fast-paced, it's forgivable and not something I would associate with poor English (at least in our situation).

I know you aren't trying to say anything degrading about people's use of the English language, or make fun of anyone, but you did effectively say it should not be an issue unless English is a second language - and since it can be an issue with people I know whose primary language is English, it makes me wonder what the next conclusion would be - perhaps they are not the brightest guys around?, which would be funny because they are (mostly) highly educated college grads who make me feel like the slow one in the bunch (which I am) :p

Anyway, I can't wait to talk s--t to the next one to mess it up - I'm gonna blame you by the way, hehehe.

lukelightning

First Post
Heh, considering I wrote "remebering" in the thread title, I guess it might be a language issue ;)

But blast and burst mean pretty much the same thing in day-to-day English. Bombs blast, and bombs burst. Burst of machine gun fire. Blast of hot air.

I think part of my problem was with the shaman's Spirit of the Healing Flood power. It rocks so hard I assumed it was just a blast, then I noticed it is a close burst 5... so pretty much "everyone"! Woo hoo!

Yeah, it's totally counter-intuitive. If you burst-out laughing, while drinking water, you spray an area more like a blast, for example.

;)

Seriously, though, I don't really have any problem with those terms. Burst totally creates the image of an all-around explosion, while blast creates the image of a directed discharge.

Bye
Thanee

Well, for German players, we found a way to memorize it:
Als Eselsbrücke: "Blast kommt von Blasen". ;)

DracoSuave

First Post
In Paragon there are a bunch of ways to get them:
- Hermetic Saboteur
- Arcane Reach
- some familiar, or familiar feat

... but that's irrelevant, because "like" is a matter of preference, and someone else's preference isn't a fight that can be won through logic.

Cheers, -- N

Those don't change it from being a Close attack tho. There ain't no such thing as an Area blast X.

Of course, seeing as you don't have a metric ton of powers, it should be pretty easy to remember that power is -still- a blast in front of you, and -still- does exactly the same thing as last time you used it.

Remove ads