• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remember these MERP/Rolemaster critical hit tables?

I've been tidying up my library. Had a quick browse through the 1984 MERP boxed set and amused myself remembering these. MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) was a lighter version of Rolemaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkein Enterprises subsequently ended ICE's Middle Earth license in 1999.

I've been tidying up my library. Had a quick browse through the 1984 MERP boxed set and amused myself remembering these. MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) was a lighter version of Rolemaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkein Enterprises subsequently ended ICE's Middle Earth license in 1999.

Dx7ytjyWkAIllWW.jpg-large.jpg

We used them in 3rd edition D&D on criticals/natural 20's as well. Good times. The d100 system is a little tedious to do arithmetic with, so we usually avoided the base Rolemaster system/s. Reminds me a little of HARN.

drl2

Explorer
I owned a few of the MERP books but never actually got around to playing the game. Reading through them, the system struck me as a standard fantasy game sprinkled with a light dusting of artificial Tolkien flavor crystals.

(Not sure what ever happened to those books, but last week while rummaging in my basement I found something called "The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game" which I don't remember buying, but it seems to have a pristine rulebook, punch-out minis, and a starter adventure for a slimmed-down LotR RPG...)

I owned a few of the MERP books but never actually got around to playing the game. Reading through them, the system struck me as a standard fantasy game sprinkled with a light dusting of artificial Tolkien flavor crystals.

I think that is what a lot of us want: standard fantasy gaming but in the world of Bilbo and Aragorn.

Remove ads

Remove ads