Reminiscing, Re:AD&D (Games 1 & 2 in progress in Playing the Game Forum....)

Imperialus

Explorer
The Party:
DM: Leif
Players:
1. Jacob Marley - Odo, Acolyte of Pholtus, Human Cleric, L/G, male
2. Kravell - ?
3. steeldragons - Shiyana of Shadebough Circle, Half-Elf Druid, N, female
4. Rhun - Turthain of the Emerald Cloak, Elf Fighter/Magic-User/Thief, Neutral Good, Male
5. Keldryn - ?

Ok, I'm in then, sweet. I tend to play fighter types, and it looks like we're a little light on the heavy metal end of things.

Out of curiosity, are we using weapons vs. armour rules? Weapon speed? I noticed that Odo has secondary skills too so I assume those are in? What's your interpretation of initiative? Oh, and how granular are your categories of weapon proficiencies? Is "Sword" a viable proficiency or is "Long Sword" independent from "Broad Sword"?

Stat roll: 4d6.takeHighest(3)=9, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=10, d6.takeHighest(3)=16, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=16, d6.takeHighest(3)=15, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=15, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=12

So, 16,16,15,15,13,12...

With stats like that I think my character will be...
Camlin the Runner
Chaotic Good, Male, Human Ranger
Experience 0 (No bonus due to low int) next level at 2250

HP: 18

Str: 16
(Hit probability normal; Damage adjustment +1; wt. allow +350; open doors 1-3; BB/LG 10%)
Int: 13
(Additional Languages 4)
Wis: 15
(Magical attack adjustment +1)
Dex: 15
(reaction/attacking adjustment 0; defensive adjustment -1)
Con: 16
(Hit Point Adjustment +2; System Shock Survival 95%; Resurrection Survival 96%)
Cha: 12
(Max no. of Henchmen 5; Loyalty Base Normal; Reaction Adjustment Normal)

Starting gold: 5d4=15 150 GP

I'm gonna have to get gear and stuff later today, I've got an appointment to get to shortly.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
The Party:
Players:
2. Imperialus - Camlin the Runner, Human Ranger, C/G, male
4. Rhun - Turthain of the Emerald Cloak, Elf Fighter/Magic-User/Thief, Neutral Good, Male
5. Keldryn - ?

[MENTION=893]Imperialus[/MENTION]'s Qs: Yes to weapon vs. armor types, at least for now. May be dropped later if it begins to bug me. Weapon speeds? You know, I don't recall how those work, so I will read up on it. For now, I'll just say that my answer is: probably. Initiative: my read/interpretation for 1 E is just a naked d6 for each side. As I recall, dex has no effect on init in 1E, just on surprise situations, but I'll re-read this, too, when I read to see how weapon speed factors influence initiative.

Man, Imperialus, your Ranger has got a PILE of hp, 20! And for a FIRST LEVEL character! (Gotta amp up those monsters....)

May I also observe that I think I really like the overall sylvan feel of this party, what with a Druid, a Ranger, and an Elf. Tempered, of course, by His Holiness, Odo the Acolyte of Pholtus.

And, [MENTION=89537]Jacob Marley[/MENTION], I was checking out the weapons vs. AC table, and you really might want to check that out too, and at least consider switching Odo's proficiency from Mace to Flail. Just sayin'..... ;)

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
Man, Imperialus, your Ranger has got a PILE of hp! 20!! For a FIRST LEVEL character! (Gotta amp up those monsters!)

I'd actually interpret it as him having 18, not 20. He does get 2D8 at first level, but the Con modifier would only be applied once.

Leif

Adventurer
I'd actually interpret it as him having 18, not 20. He does get 2D8 at first level, but the Con modifier would only be applied once.
I don't think so -- the PHB specifically says on Page 12: "Hit Point Adjustment indicates the subtraction from or addition to each hit die for a character." So 1st Level Rangers, having Hit Dice of 2d8, get the adjustment to each of the two d8s.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The Party:
Players:
2. Imperialus - Camlin the Runner, Human Ranger, C/G, male
5. Keldryn - ?

Lookin' good! :D

Initiative: my read/interpretation for 1 E is just a naked d6 for each side. As I recall, dex has no effect on init in 1E, just on surprise situations, but I'll re-read this, too, when I read to see how weapon speed factors influence initiative.

That is my understanding (and how we always played) also. 1d6 per side. Then weapons, spells, etc. take effect for what happens first.Granted, in a PbP this may be difficult to account for, as everyone is posting as they are able.

And, on that subject. just to note, I am 6 hours ahead of EST here in Andorra. I notice, I believe you, @Leif , are on the west coast? So 9 hours ahead of you...hence why I've seen most of your responses in my "morning" from the "night" before.

Man, Imperialus, your Ranger has got a PILE of hp, 20! And for a FIRST LEVEL character!

How is that psossible from 2d8? Not wishing to lessen your PC, of course, Imperialus. 20 HP works for me! Shiyana is standing behin you, pretty much all of the time! lolol.

(Gotta amp up those monsters....)

Oh. Please. Don't go out of your way on our account! lol.

May I also observe that I think I really like the overall sylvan feel of this party, what with a Druid, a Ranger, and an Elf. Tempered, of course, by His Holiness, Odo the Acolyte of Pholtus.

I was noting (and enjoying) that also. Seems like a cool/easy coagulation of PCs. :) Seems like an easy way to mesh PC backgrounds if anyone's interested.

That is what I would have thought also...but if Leif wants to give you 20? Not arguing! lol...I'm actually not clear on the exact rules re: Con bonus at the moment (not having my books with me). I thought it was per HD/level...not per roll. But now, I really can't say...nor is it my place to, honestly. :angel:

@Leif : I swear, I am not a "rules lawyer"...tone and fun absolutely take precedence over numbers for me and my games. Just a point of curiosity more than anything else. And,. like I said, haven't been a PC in a while and DM/homebrewed a LOT...so the lines of "rules as written" vs. "memory/homebrewed" blur quite a bit. I'll shut up now. :D

--SD

Leif

Adventurer
Lookin' good! :D
Indeed!

That is my understanding (and how we always played) also. 1d6 per side. Then weapons, spells, etc. take effect for what happens first.Granted, in a PbP this may be difficult to account for, as everyone is posting as they are able.
Yes we may have to work out our own system because of the PbP thing. We'll see.
And, on that subject. just to note, I am 6 hours ahead of EST here in Andorra. I notice, I believe you, Leif, are on the west coast? So 9 hours ahead of you...hence why I've seen most of your responses in my "morning" from the "night" before.
Nope. I'm in Arkansas, right smack in the middle, Central Time Zone, one our behind the east coast and two ahead of west coast. I just noticed moments ago that you're in Andorra. I know that's in western Europe. Near Spain??
How is that psossible from 2d8? Not wishing to lessen your PC, of course, Imperialus. 20 HP works for me! Shiyana is standing behin you, pretty much all of the time! lolol.
2d8, 16 Con = 8+2+8+2=20
Oh. Please. Don't go out of your way on our account! lol.
Nice try :devil:
I was noting (and enjoying) that also. Seems like a cool/easy coagulation of PCs. :) Seems like an easy way to mesh PC backgrounds if anyone's interested.
That would help me tremendously. Especially if someone could incude a mesh with the non-sylvan types. I'm thinking now that you have all journeyed to the same place for a Midsummer Observance of some kind.
That is what I would have thought also...but if Leif wants to give you 20? Not arguing! lol...I'm actually not clear on the exact rules re: Con bonus at the moment (not having my books with me). I thought it was per HD/level...not per roll. But now, I really can't say...nor is it my place to, honestly. :angel:--SD
It is per Hit Die, and Rangers have TWO hit dice at first level (2d8), as do Monks(2d4).

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Nope. I'm in Arkansas, right smack in the middle, Central Time Zone, one our behind the east coast and two ahead of west coast. I just noticed moments ago that you're in Andorra. I know that's in western Europe. Near Spain??

Oh, ok. Cool. Andorra is, in fact, near Spain...and France. It is a "Principality" in the Pyrenees mountains. I am...maybe half hour to Spain and about 45 minutes to France secluded in this weird mountain valley "country" between the two. I'm actually from (born and mostly raised) New Jersey, though! haha. Not the "Jersey Shore" kind, gods forfend! But the nice, regular people part along the Atlantic coast.

What's it like being a gamer in Arkansas?!

2d8, 16 Con = 8+2+8+2=20

That was what I was assuming. Just, don't think I ever did it that way before.

Dang. Can't blame a girl (Shiyana) fer trying. haha.:angel:

That would help me tremendously. Especially if someone could incude a mesh with the non-sylvan types.

You heard the man! Who wants to be connected with a, particaularly lovely if I do say so (Cha. 16!) half-elf lady?

I'm thinking now that you have all journeyed to the same place for a Midsummer Observance of some kind.

Cool. I can get more "greater mistletoe"! hahaha.

It is per Hit Die, and Rangers have TWO hit dice at first level (2d8), as do Monks(2d4).

So noted...and good catch. Guess I was just recalling Hit Die as equally Level. Excellent distinction. I will certainly be affording my players the same courtesy from here on out.

(And [MENTION=893]Imperialus[/MENTION]: SO staying behind you as much as possible! lolol.)

Perhaps a casual acquaintance?

As possible scenarios, for Leif's benefit"

Camlin the Runner joined Shiyana as a bodyguard, perhaps, on errand to...the Midsummer's Celebration in...whatever town we're starting in? Sending an inexperienced "girl" into the "big city" being something the Circle does not approve/wants to protect?

[MENTION=98644]Jacob[/MENTION]Marley: If you like, Shiyana could be coming to <insert town/city here> to meet with you, on errand from her Circle/Grove, to meet about the actions or odd goings on of your temple's missionary/monastery that has begun to disrupt the "natural order" of the surrounding environs?

[MENTION=29098]Rhun[/MENTION]: Turthain might be a friend of Shiyana's from her elvin parentage? (I haven't really thought/decided yet on whether she is Half-elf from her mother or father)...or if you want to be somehow related directly (a cousin? First-removed? A half-sibling?) or just another "protector" sent with Shiyana to this large "City-State" of "Men"?

I dunno. Just throwin' things out there. Please, feel free to come up with your own connections.

--SD

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
And, @Jacob Marley , I was checking out the weapons vs. AC table, and you really might want to check that out too, and at least consider switching Odo's proficiency from Mace to Flail. Just sayin'..... ;)

Thanks! He is proficient in both. I never really looked at how different they really were. Plus, the Footmaman's Flail is cheaper! :)

@Jacob Marley: If you like, Shiyana could be coming to <insert town/city here> to meet with you, on errand from her Circle/Grove, to meet about the actions or odd goings on of your temple's missionary/monastery that has begun to disrupt the "natural order" of the surrounding environs?

Maybe we could partially reverse this? Since we also have an elf and a ranger adventuring with us, it might be a good idea to start with me coming out to you to discuss the actions or odd goings on of my temple (or, at least, a certain sect of it). If that works with you guys, that's cool with me.

A little more on Odo. He looks like a cross between David Thewlis in Kingdom of Heaven (the one on the right) and Michael McShane in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. He has a sort of dopey look, but is surprisingly capable.

I am also in Central Standard Time (Minnesota). Most of my posting will be during the work week, weekends can be a bit harder for me to post with any regularity; Sundays are out of the question - that is my regular D&D game day.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Maybe we could partially reverse this? Since we also have an elf and a ranger adventuring with us, it might be a good idea to start with me coming out to you to discuss the actions or odd goings on of my temple (or, at least, a certain sect of it). If that works with you guys, that's cool with me.

You're correct. Works/is cool with me. And makes sense. I just thought Leif wanted to start us in some Invincible Overlord's city...but I am not overly familiar with Greyhawk.

A little more on Odo. He looks like a cross between David Thewlis in Kingdom of Heaven (the one on the right) and Michael McShane in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. He has a sort of dopey look, but is surprisingly capable.

Dopey but capable for the win! lol. Thanks for the visuals. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator so I do like to have a mental picture of who I'm "with."

I am also in Central Standard Time (Minnesota). Most of my posting will be during the work week, weekends can be a bit harder for me to post with any regularity; Sundays are out of the question - that is my regular D&D game day.

Cool. I'm sorta...a "man of leisure" or, I suppose the American term would be "self-employed", for lack of a better term. lol...so work week, weekend, it's all good for me. Just the time difference to take into account.

--SD

Imperialus

Explorer
Camlin (Cam) the Runner
Chaotic Good, Male, Human Ranger
Hair: dirty blond and curly, rough cut to the nape of his neck with a knife.
Eyes: Green
Notable Features: has a series of scars on his left forarm from when he was attacked by a wolf as a child.

Experience 0 (No bonus due to low int) next level at 2250

HP: 20
AC: 2 (Banded Mail, Dex 15, Small Shield)
THAC0 20

Weapon Proficiencies: Swords, Throwing Axes, bows
Secondary Skill: 1d100=58 Trader... hrm.

Str: 16
(Hit probability normal; Damage adjustment +1; wt. allow +350; open doors 1-3; BB/LG 10%)
Int: 13
(Additional Languages 4)
Wis: 15
(Magical attack adjustment +1)
Dex: 15
(reaction/attacking adjustment 0; defensive adjustment -1)
Con: 16
(Hit Point Adjustment +2; System Shock Survival 95%; Resurrection Survival 96%)
Cha: 12
(Max no. of Henchmen 5; Loyalty Base Normal; Reaction Adjustment Normal)

Ranger Abilities:
1+dmg to humanoids and giants
50% chance to surprise, 1 in 6 chance to be surprised.
Tracking, see p. 24 PHB

Starting gold: 5d4=15 150 GP

Gear:
Banded Mail
Hard leather riding boots
Thick wool cloak
Small wooden shield
Belt
Small Beltpouch (coinpurse)
Large Beltpouch

Longsword
Throwing Axes x2