• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Removed from game and conditions

Alnag

First Post
Dear EnWorlders,

I am wondering about some powers, its effects and such things. We have bard and cleric in our group with powers:

Timeless Trek in Mithrendain (Bard 5th level, DRG387): Effect: The target is banished to the Feywild (save ends). While banished, it is removed from play.

Now... what does this "removed from play means". How do other conditions on such removed creature work? Does it save normally? Does it have turns (if some condition ends on end of its turn, does it end while removed from game?) It it is under effect of ongoing damage can it die while removed from game.

Cleric has Dismissal (Cleric 9th level), which works similiarly except for the fact, it does not remove from game. The target disappears into an extraplanar prison.

So is there any difference or does it work the same way?

Jack99

Adventurer
If a character or creature is removed from game, it is still affected by all conditions that it had prior to being removed from game. You can not affect the creature by any means (no LOS or LOE) and the creature can not affect anyone else.

It saves against ALL conditions normally. Which means that once it makes it save against the power that removed it from play, it returns on the board.

Unless the creature is also stunned, it can use powers/magic items on itself, as per the normal rules.

As I recall, the cleric power you mention also removes the target from play, even if not explicitly stated.

fba827

Adventurer
I *THINK* (though I may be completely imagining it) that the glossary at the back of MM3 has something about 'removed from play'

But Jack99 has the gist of it, it still has all the conditions and what not. The main point is, think of it like being in some pocket dimension -- it still exsists, it just doesn't have line of sight or line of effect to anything (and nothing has LoE and LoS to it).

The cleric was written before removed from play became a recurring thing (albeit high powered monster thing). So basically they just didn't have the standardized term at that time. But it's the same thing more or less.

Penthau

Explorer
I was a little surprised to find this in the Compendium.

removed from play
Some effects can temporarily remove you from play. While you are removed from play, your turns start and end as normal, but you can’t take actions, unless specified otherwise. In addition, you have neither line of sight nor line of effect to anything, and nothing has line of sight or line of effect to you.

Riastlin

First Post
Actually, as Penthau pointed out, you cannot take actions while you are removed from play.

As an aside, this actually bothers me to a degree. With a power like Timeless Trek, there really is no reason why the creature could not take an action. Similarly, allies could, in theory, take a jaunt to the feywild to recover said target (though the time needed would make the effort silly). That being said, I guess it is to be assumed that all remove from play effects also stun the target, it just seems silly to me though unless you are in fact stunned by being removed from play.

AngryMojo

First Post
Similarly, allies could, in theory, take a jaunt to the feywild to recover said target (though the time needed would make the effort silly).

If my players decided to do this, I'd allow it. An Eladrin's Fey Step states that they jump into the feywyld, so if an eladrin ally wanted to bring the target back, I'd allow it, and probably reward it for doing something clever.

Riastlin

First Post
If my players decided to do this, I'd allow it. An Eladrin's Fey Step states that they jump into the feywyld, so if an eladrin ally wanted to bring the target back, I'd allow it, and probably reward it for doing something clever.

Stupid Eladrin's, forgot their Fey Step. :p Seriously though, I'd allow it too, it was just that generally the time it would take (Fey Step and similar abilities aside) would ordinarily be longer (by quite a bit) than the time for the effect to simply end on the ally.

Remove ads