• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

removing lycanthrope

Luigiana

First Post
What happens to all the bonusses you got from lycanthrope when you cure it? i mean it is a hell of a :):):):) if you need to remove everything from it..
so is it only some of the things you loose or what happens?

Gilladian

Adventurer
Why would you keep any of the bonuses? You get the disease, you get the bonuses... you get cured, they go away. Just like the penalties.

Anything else sounds like twinky overpowered grabbiness to me, and a DM should nip it fast before it gets out of control.

Now, if the entity removing the lycanthropy is a powerful and magical one, he, she or it could CHOOSE to GIFT the person with a "reminder" of their previous condition, but that's very different from saying "hey, I got really good bonuses and I don't want to give them up; I should get to keep my improved STR after I give up my ravening hunger and evil alignment!"

Luigiana

First Post
Why would you keep any of the bonuses? You get the disease, you get the bonuses... you get cured, they go away. Just like the penalties.

Anything else sounds like twinky overpowered grabbiness to me, and a DM should nip it fast before it gets out of control.

Now, if the entity removing the lycanthropy is a powerful and magical one, he, she or it could CHOOSE to GIFT the person with a "reminder" of their previous condition, but that's very different from saying "hey, I got really good bonuses and I don't want to give them up; I should get to keep my improved STR after I give up my ravening hunger and evil alignment!"
First of.. you don't have to be evil just because your a wereanimal.. second.. it takes ages to reverse your sheet back to pre-cursed..

the Jester

Legend
First of.. you don't have to be evil just because your a wereanimal.. second.. it takes ages to reverse your sheet back to pre-cursed..

I do not find either of these arguments at all persuasive.

Being evil has nothing to do with whether you keep the up side of a disease/curse when you remove the down side of it (and there's absolutely no reason why you should keep anything from it).

As far as updating your character sheet- I take it that you're playing a 3.x game or variant? That process of "sheet adjustment" is prolly 3e's greatest weakness (IMHO). God help you if you get to epic levels, when pretty much every encounter starts with Mordenkainen's disjunction and then leads to three hours of re-figuring bonuses, ACs, etc. for everyone.

Gilladian

Adventurer
As far as updating your character sheet- I take it that you're playing a 3.x game or variant? That process of "sheet adjustment" is prolly 3e's greatest weakness (IMHO). God help you if you get to epic levels, when pretty much every encounter starts with Mordenkainen's disjunction and then leads to three hours of re-figuring bonuses, ACs, etc. for everyone.

Yep. That's one reason I play 3.5 E6 edition. We never get to epic levels! Or, rather, "epic levels" happen at 6. Feats only from then on!

And I'm strongly considering adding the Eberron "shifter" race to my campaign - that will be the only version of lycanthropy any PC will get to "keep". It fits my woodsfolk to a T.

Luigiana

First Post
I do not find either of these arguments at all persuasive.

Being evil has nothing to do with whether you keep the up side of a disease/curse when you remove the down side of it (and there's absolutely no reason why you should keep anything from it).

well no not pretty much every encounter starts with anything.. if you ROLEPLAY then every encounter starts with what your role sees fit.. i don't power build as so many others.. i actually roleplay..
but anyway thanks..

the Jester

Legend
well no not pretty much every encounter starts with anything.. if you ROLEPLAY then every encounter starts with what your role sees fit.. i don't power build as so many others.. i actually roleplay..
but anyway thanks..

Seriously, have you played at epic levels?

In a prepared pcs vs. prepared bad guys scenario, throwing a Mordenkainen's disjunction in round 1, before the party advances to the attack, usually lowers enemy defenses, attack and damage bonuses and saves by something on the order of 10 or more points; wipes out multiple immunities and resistances; etc. This is based on the face that an epic-level groups is likely blanketed by spells such as true seeing, mind blank, spell immunity, energy immunity, stat-boosting, holy aura, heroes' feast, etc. An epic group that isn't prepped with all of this is easy pickings.

(Caveat: My 10-point adjustment assumes that the bad guys have decent gear appropriate to epic threats.)

Just sayin', you don't have to play this way, but unless the players and dm have agreed to waive disjunction as a tactic, not starting with it gives you a very significant handicap.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Disjunction is as popular in our games as the Sunder maneuver, and for exactly the same reasons: It destroys treasure.

It's like the nuclear option: Yeah, it's there, but it destroys what you were going after, at least in part. And it invites enemies to do the same to you.

Remove ads