• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Renaissance/Fantasy science wanted.

raptor112

First Post
Wow, there are alot more responses then I expected (I thought was the only one into fantasy technology in fantasy technology). I was refering to the Fantastic science book by you Kelleris. I like the book overall but there were a few things here and there seemed to need a good old fasioned nerf wacking. I don't have the book with me right now (my Gm who is also the rules lawyer in my game has it) I am planning on using it for a revival of my original campain setting. Once I get my book back I would love to talk more, maybe help me get it more in line rules wise with what I need for that campain. For the purpose of this thread though I am looking for something that any character class can aquire and use (either through a feat or just purchasing the item). I am going to check out some of the sugestions made here. keep the ideas coming guys, I'd like to see what else is out there and who else like steam/fantasy science in there D&D games.

Banshee16

First Post
Wraith Form said:
I'm sorry for threadjacking, but I actually have a question on this topic.

I recently decided to start the early beginnings of an industrial revolution in my game by introducing the first set of guns and a steamjack (see the Iron Kingdoms setting for details). The players found this during an arms trade gone wrong. Both techs are owned by the most advanced government in my homebrew (which is, in effect, the Ravenloft setting minus the horror elements, exactly as the O.P. is doing).

I'm trying to think of a subtle way to introduce more advancements--RPG settings like the Iron Kingdoms assumes that the tech has been around for some time and thus doesn't need to explain its introduction, as does the computer game Arcanum, as well as the steampunk "bible" The Difference Engine.

So how was new tech introduced to our "real" world back during the Renaissance? Particularly, I mean new tech being developed privately in government labs and workshops, then slowly leaked into the public sector. Any suggestions as to how I can introduce more tech in a quiet, unobtrusive manner?

[/threadjack]

Generally, from what I understand back then, research wasn't done in government labs and workshops. In fact, earlier during the renaissance, wasn't a lot of scientific experimentation illegal, or at the very least frowned upon? How many scientists ran into trouble with the church, for instance, because what they were investigating contravened standard church doctrine. In some cases, they lost their lives because of their pursuit of science.

If I understand correctly, many who were doing research in were privately funded by wealthy individuals etc. They had patrons or whatever, which gave them the resources they needed to do their work. I think a lot of government sponsored research didn't really start until the 20th century. Before that, it was kind of "every man to himself".

Banshee

raptor112

First Post
I've just checked out some stuff on Northern Crown, and it seems like a cool and interesting setting. The only problem is I found some demos with lots of fluff, but no crunch. I don't want to buy a thirty dollar book, only to find out that the tech stuff in it doesn't have the crunch that I need. Can anyone tell me a bit on the technology of Northern Crown (without of course breaking copyright laws or the rules of the forum?)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Here's a suggestion that takes a little work, but might be what you're looking for: the old PC game Arcanum was a steampunk techno-magic game, and a good one too.

I picked up the hint guide for it when it first came out, but there are some online guides to playing it that I've seen that still have quite a bit of info for the game, like this one here. You need to do the heavy lifting, but it has some great information to start from!

--Steve

raptor112

First Post
Well right now I'm working on a Mad scientist base class, which is partially inspired by the Ravenloft 3.5 book Legacy of Blood (I have a series of item creation feats that duplicate the normal ones but with slightly different rules, and upgrade feats that duplicate meta-magic) and the book Fantasic Science (which I am using the craft point chart from, and taking some inspiration for some devices from). Hopefully it comes out balanced.

Remove ads