• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rename Thievery to Roguery

Mephistopheles

First Post
Incenjucar said:
"Manual Finesse" or something would probably make more sense, but they're probably trying to be as obvious as possible.

This sounds like an activity that would best be kept behind closed doors.

I'm fine with Thievery. In 4.5 they can change the class name back to Thief and all will be well.

kennew142

First Post
Nifft said:
When pirates hoist the Jolly Thiever, then I'll consider a skill called "Roguery" (which is a real word, but not the appropriate one IMHO).

Cheers, -- N

Roguery

1. roguish conduct; rascality.
2. playful mischief.

I would like to second that. The word roguery exists, but seems inapplicable to this usage.

Demigonis

First Post
Sitara said:
For the same reason Thief was renamed to Rogue. I mean, not all rogues are thieves though some can be. But every thief is, well a thief.

Thoughts?

Disagree, I think that sounds terrible, nor does it make a lot of sense by definition.

cthulhu_duck

First Post
Sitara said:
For the same reason Thief was renamed to Rogue. I mean, not all rogues are thieves though some can be. But every thief is, well a thief.

Thoughts?

Yes, I have thoughts.

In 1E, a Thief was a Thief, unless they were a Thief-Acrobat.

I don't know what they were in 2E (I skipped that edition more or less).

In 3E, a Rogue might be a Thief, and vice versa a Thief might be a Rogue, but a Rogue not need be a Thief and vice versa you could play a Thief without taking a level in Rogue.

In 4E, I get the impression that a Rogue will be a Thief. And that people in the game world will know you're a Rogue or Warlord or Wizard or Ranger by how you dress and how you act. Could be wrong, and I'll wait and see the final product...

Remove ads