• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Replacement for Aboleth?

Tormyr

Hero
Oh really.. what's the XP for an Aboleth? I'm at work and don't have the MM with me.

An Aboleth is CR 10 and thus worth 5,900 xp. Deadly for 6 level 3 PCs is 2400 xp and and 6 level 4 PCs is 3000 xp. If the Aboleth is on its own, it is only worth half its XP when there are 6 PCs. So it is worth 2,950 XP. However, there are two points worth noting:
1. The CR 10 creature may have attacks that are so devastating for level 3 or 4 characters that they die instantly or cannot counter what it is doing. I don't have a MM with me at the moment, so I cannot say for sure.
2. The encounter building guidelines table is for 3-5 PCs. There are notes that everything should shift one multiplier up when using 1-2 PCs and one multiplier down when using 6-8 PCs. I didn't like that there were big jumps when going from 3 to 2 PCs or 5 to 6 PCs (i.e. for 5 PCs the Aboleth is 5,900 xp of difficulty but is only 2,950 xp of difficulty for 6 PCs). So I expanded the table by using 4 PCs as the standard, 1 PC for the low end and 7 PCs for the high end. I then filled in the rest of the table for all the numbers of PCs in between. In this circumstance, the Aboleth would still be worth 2/3 of its original XP or about 3,933 XP. Using that number, this would still be a deadly encounter for 6 level 4 PCs.

Given those two points, I would suggest either using a different creature or scaling the Aboleth back. The first question I would have for you is what level do you expect the PCs to be when they encounter the Aboleth? Second, how difficult do you want the encounter? At that point, you can use the encounter building guidelines to determine a CR for the Aboleth. If you scale back the Aboleth, I would suggest keeping the HP and scaling back on the damage to lower the CR. This will help keep the creature around for several rounds while limiting the risk of a quick PC death. This could fit in with the suggestions earlier in the thread of having the PCs strip away its abilities. If they are successful, they get the weaker aboleth. Otherwise, they get the CR 10 version :devil:

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
having read the original module, my suggestion would be to have the aboleth, wounded/sick/bat**** crazy and limit it's physical abilities. Then utilize a screen of controlled creatures (orcs, nothic's, etc). Maybe the the aboleth strikes out every now and then, but mostly it just babbles nonsense or screams at the PC's. In the meantime the controlled creatures are the real threat. Do the PC's take them out and then deal with the aboleth and make it a really challenging encounter due to the numbers or do they try to work around the mob and take out the aboleth to free the enslaved making the encounter more challenging from a tactical sense but maybe less physically dangerous.

Nebulous

Legend
having read the original module, my suggestion would be to have the aboleth, wounded/sick/bat**** crazy and limit it's physical abilities. Then utilize a screen of controlled creatures (orcs, nothic's, etc). Maybe the the aboleth strikes out every now and then, but mostly it just babbles nonsense or screams at the PC's. In the meantime the controlled creatures are the real threat. Do the PC's take them out and then deal with the aboleth and make it a really challenging encounter due to the numbers or do they try to work around the mob and take out the aboleth to free the enslaved making the encounter more challenging from a tactical sense but maybe less physically dangerous.

That is exactly what I did in my scenario.

XWJVIUK.jpg

Alternatively, just pick the stats for another creature that works for the abilities you want it to have--mind flayer might be a good option, though if it's alone, that might be too easy--but continue to describe it as an aboleth.

Uchawi

First Post
The Aboleth could be trapped in a dimensional pocket and/or plane and have limited affect in the physical world, except through minions or converts, and the mind control is more subtle overarching ability to extend it's influence. If key converts are taken out, have to retreat, etc. then the influence wanes. It is up to the DM if they want to keep the identity of the greater evil hidden. Of course, I am thinking water should play some influence in the mind control aspect as the corruptions spreads.

Anth

First Post
Please...
Have any of you even looked at the aboleth stats before giving advice???
Well, lets do that.
Right now.

First, the aboleths speed is 40'... in water. Its land speed is only 10'. Just let the players figure out a way to force the aboleth out of water and it isn't more dangerous than a snail.
Second, the only dangerous attack the aboleth has is enslave, that let it charm creatures within sight and 30' range. Then just keep more than 30' away from the creature.

Under those circumstances I could probably send an aboleth against a bunch of level 1 characters and they would handle it without any problem.

SilverBulletKY

First Post
Please...
Have any of you even looked at the aboleth stats before giving advice???
Well, lets do that.
Right now.

First, the aboleths speed is 40'... in water. Its land speed is only 10'. Just let the players figure out a way to force the aboleth out of water and it isn't more dangerous than a snail.
Second, the only dangerous attack the aboleth has is enslave, that let it charm creatures within sight and 30' range. Then just keep more than 30' away from the creature.

Under those circumstances I could probably send an aboleth against a bunch of level 1 characters and they would handle it without any problem.

Good points.. although your characters shouldn't know how far an Aboleth can cast enslave

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
One alternative to scaling back overpowering foes is to develop a "defeat condition" that does not involve direct combat or killing of the overpowering enemy. For example - maybe the aboleth is using some particular type of ritual magic or magical artifact to control its thralls over longer distances or in larger numbers. You can then come up with a thematic way to defeat this ritual/artifact and set up a level-appropriate boss fight to guard against this condition. For example, perhaps a vial of a particular type of fiend's blood could disrupt the mind-control if poured into the aboleth's specially enchanted sanctum-pool. Which could then be guarded by a suitably powerful thrall or construct or something.

Anth

First Post
Good points.. although your characters shouldn't know how far an Aboleth can cast enslave

I agree.
But if the party contain spellcasters, the characters should know that magical effects reach 30', 60', 90',...
And consulting with a sage or similar would reveal that charm person, dryads charm and vampires charm all have 30' reach.

Remove ads