• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacing a Favored Class: Any

SWAT

First Post
In the campaign I'm about to run, I'd like to ignore multiclassing XP penalties and give any race with a Favored Class of Any another bonus to compensate for losing that small advantage. I was thinking of letting them choose a certain number of skills to become permanent class skills. But, having never played in a game that uses multiclassing XP penalties, I have no idea how useful a Favored Class of Any is, and thus don't know how many permanent class skills I should hand out. 1? 2? More? What do you think?

smootrk

First Post
In most games I have participated in, no one pays much attention to favored classes, although most do not bother with much multiclassing.

I have seen others grant 4 skill points per level to character who level up in their favored class.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Smootrk has a good suggestion. Another idea is to simply boost the number of skill points earned by humans and half-elves (and illumians if you use them). Give half-elves the bonus skill points that humans currently get and then double the bonus skill points that humans get.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
SWAT said:
But, having never played in a game that uses multiclassing XP penalties, I have no idea how useful a Favored Class of Any is, and thus don't know how many permanent class skills I should hand out. 1? 2? More? What do you think?
Favored Class Any doesn't matter until you start spreading out; then it allows for maximum character progression while still being an extremely powerful multi-class combination.

Two permanent class skills of the character's choice should be sufficient replacement for the loss of that race feature.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads