• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacing regeneration?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm putting together an adventure for the coming week that calls for some lycanthropes. Thing is I'm really trying to streamline combat with encounter design and monster healing is one of those things I'd prefer not to have slowing the game.

So any suggestions for ways to replace regeneration's mechanics while maintaining the feel of regeneration?

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Give them extra HP and vulnerable silver.

Throw back to 3e for DR/Silver

They killing blow has to come from a silver weapon.

keterys

First Post
Silver could slow them down, in some fashion.

For example, let's say they have a minor bite or claw attack 1/round, but they can't take it if they've been hurt by silver in the last round.

fba827

Adventurer
if you want a 'fire and forget' sort of ability, give them temp hp that kicks in when made bloodied (it keeps it from being an 'every round" thing like regen, and keeps it from being an 'every hit' thing like resistance, but still gives them some extra damage soak ability)

alternatively, don't just give them regen but make it something they have to give up actions to get. i.e. as a move action while bloodied (recharge 4+), they can heal 5 (or whatever the regen amount would be). Thus, it might not happen every round since a) it has to recharge and b) it requires them to give up a move action that they might otherwise want to use for something else

Mr. Teapot

First Post
You could add "and the wolf gains 5 temporary hit points" to the hit line of any appropriate attack power, which would sort of be like healing but not exactly the same (no going from 1 hp to full). And of course that wouldn't work if they've been hit by silver. Possibly they only gain temp HP from an encounter power or their transformation ability, possibly from an at-will.

Or you could have the werewolf have higher defenses except against silver weapons. Or make them grant combat advantage after being hit with silver or something.

Or they could have "bestial fury: move action at-will. The werewolf shifts three squares and gains DR 5 until the end of their next turn. Special: the werewolf cannot use this power if they were hit by a silver weapon since the end of their last turn." (Specifics could be modified, but you get the idea.)

Stalker0

Legend
I think the Resist X / Vulnerable Y model is the way to go. Though you will want to keep the resist X small to keep the same balance as the healing.

Resist 5 is going to be stronger than Heal 5 against a party of 5.

Quickleaf

Legend
Silver could slow them down, in some fashion.

For example, let's say they have a minor bite or claw attack 1/round, but they can't take it if they've been hurt by silver in the last round.
That's an interesting take and certainly would feel like the players had accomplished something, esp. Combined with silver vulnerability.

Thing about other suggestions for DR, resistance, and temporary hit points is they generally do the same thing - the monster buys time to do more cool stuff. In the spirit of speeding up combat I want to cut to the cool stuff without needing the monster to last an extra round or two, or more if encountered in packs or without silver weapons (not to mention non-weapon users getting screwed).

Does that make sense?

keterys

First Post
Could also just design them on the high side of effectiveness (though not super high) for a monster of their level, and have silver outright daze them for a turn.

You'd probably want to reduce that effectiveness for elite or solo lycanthropes though.

I'd make it so that they don't have regeneration, but have vulnerable 5 silver. Also, damage cannot reduce the lycanthrope below 1 HP unless the creature took damage from a silver source in the past round.

Or possibly, at the start of its turn, if it's below 0 HP and hasn't taken damage from a silver source in the past round, it stands up and heals 1 HP. Like a troll with fire damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads