• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacing the druid's animal companion ability with the Earth Domain: balanced?

Argent Silvermage

First Post
In MOtW. there are feats for Turning and rebucking Animals and Plants. You might want to think about taking them a feats with special prerequisites so that a normal druid could not have them. It starts out as the ability to turn with one feat and than another to rebuke. I like what it does with plant monsters.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Argent said:
In MOtW. there are feats for Turning and rebucking Animals and Plants. You might want to think about taking them a feats with special prerequisites so that a normal druid could not have them. It starts out as the ability to turn with one feat and than another to rebuke. I like what it does with plant monsters.

True, and maybe this would be the best way to handle it: one feat to rebuke elementals (or earth-subtype critters), and another to command them. Truth be told, I don't much like the rules for turning/rebuking animals; there's too much overlap with a druid's other abilities. But it might be a good resolution in this case.

Daniel

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Pielorinho said:

True, and maybe this would be the best way to handle it: one feat to rebuke elementals (or earth-subtype critters), and another to command them. Truth be told, I don't much like the rules for turning/rebuking animals; there's too much overlap with a druid's other abilities. But it might be a good resolution in this case.

Daniel
Just remember to keep it to a type of elemental. If it effected all elementals at once it would be way to powerful.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I don't think it would be a fair swap, you would be getting far too much out of it.

Firstly, the ability to directly affect half of the basic elementals out there is huge (especially if you are still in the temple of elemental evil)

Secondly, the domain spells give a power boost at every level (because of the bonus spell)

I don't think this is in any way comparable with the animal companions, especially should the character reach high levels (after all, in Masters of the Wild they introduced the IMO cheesy "legendary" animals because it turned out that even dire animals weren't that useful once you got to 14th level+ battles)

Cheers

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hypersmurf said:

Given how many he's managed to slip into assorted threads over the last couple of weeks, I'm sure it's exactly his intention.

;)

-Hyp.

Sometimes I'm teasing, but mostly I'm trying to share as much information as I can without breaking my NDA.

If I could share more, I would.

AEtherfyre

First Post
I'm going to agree with those who think that the entire domain is too much - but, as druids don't use their Cha stat for much, I don't think trading Animal Friendship for Rebuking Earth Elementals and Turning Air Elementals would be much of a problem.

This, of course, is dependent on just how frequently elementals are used in the campaign.

Remove ads