• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Reply if you love 4e

Pour

First Post
I really put a crazy lot of faith in the management, before I realized most the design leads disliked the edition or simply never understood it. Chris Perkins and the freelancers produced the memorable stuff. You know, I actually championed Mearls at first, too. After the bumbling of the first two years of the edition, it had to get better. I really thought his leadership push was going into proliferating 4e across a wider breadth of tastes, interests, and play styles while keeping in line with the stable core. Part of me hoped for Paizo-level attention to the edition and materials to buy and run. But they tanked it, instead. They freaking tanked it.

In no way did I initially get the impression Essentials was 'the new way of doing things', and definitely not the last hurrah. Was anyone else looking at Essentials rather innocently as simply a new sort of entry point/simplified option? I really thought we'd see the PHB4, the DMG3 Epic (they had Chris Perkin's very good articles that could have easily been reworked and added to!), Heroes of the Astral Sea, Monster Vault 3, etc. There were definitely hints of 4e Dragonlance floating around, too, for awhile. 4e would have been perfect for Birthright even more-so, in truth. And who didn't want to see Chris's Iomandra or Valoreign released as proper 4e-specific campaign settings?

And when they had that big announcement that turned out to be 5e, hah, I was sure it was going to be 4.5. My head was swimming with the possibilities, and this might have just been my skewed perception but the conversations leading up to the announcement actually had some excellent discussion and almost amiable dialogue between edition warriors validating each other. Sure, some were crying edition change, edition change, but I didn't put any stock in their cries beyond trolling. This was going to be it, what 4e deserved, with the renewed attention it deserved, the kind that would really allow it to shine. I thought the whole of the rp community was pretty much ready. Insane, yeah, I know... Oh what a shock lol. I still haven't been able to quite trust the current D&D after that.

Should have seen it coming, though. I guess when everything I was looking forward to on the last legitimate catalog was canceled or transformed into system-neutral, something should have went off in my head.

nogray

Adventurer
I love 4e. It hits my sweet spot for non-combat fun and interesting combats. I love how easy prep is. It's my favorite D&D.

I have to say, 4E sounds like a great game. Now that Next is on the horizon, I am really sorry I didn't try 4 after reading what you all have said, and it certainly doesn't seem to deserve as much of the negative press as it got.

mlund

First Post
I love 4E.

If I want to run a very tactical, skirmish-based game focused on teamwork I'll run 4E with various steals from 13th Age bolted on.

I also love 4E for the game evolution elements that 13th Age has inherited from it.

- Marty Lund

The Human Target

Adventurer
I have to say, 4E sounds like a great game. Now that Next is on the horizon, I am really sorry I didn't try 4 after reading what you all have said, and it certainly doesn't seem to deserve as much of the negative press as it got.

I can absolutely understand if someone doesn't like 4e, but the bad press it gets from some circles is super overboard.

Zelkon

First Post
I really put a crazy lot of faith in the management, before I realized most the design leads disliked the edition or simply never understood it. Chris Perkins and the freelancers produced the memorable stuff. You know, I actually championed Mearls at first, too. After the bumbling of the first two years of the edition, it had to get better. I really thought his leadership push was going into proliferating 4e across a wider breadth of tastes, interests, and play styles while keeping in line with the stable core. Part of me hoped for Paizo-level attention to the edition and materials to buy and run. But they tanked it, instead. They freaking tanked it.
*Snip for length*
Are you me?
The last 4e magazine came out today, so 4e is officially dead. No longer will we see any support for this beautiful, horribly managed game.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
The last 4e magazine came out today, so 4e is officially dead. No longer will we see any support for this beautiful, horribly managed game.

I don't think it will be the last support we ever see. I think that in time, like they're currently doing for other editions, they will start releasing and re-releasing new 4e content, though it won't be a lot unless there is proof of demand.

If they do not go that route, it's safe to consider it the ultimate insult.

That said, 4e will be a lot harder to continue playing without the online tools (though there are still unofficial solutions to this that I will pursue if WotC leaves me no choice).

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) That said, 4e will be a lot harder to continue playing without the online tools (though there are still unofficial solutions to this that I will pursue if WotC leaves me no choice).

I'm sticking to the paid-for, legal versions as well. But if they're turned off while my sub is current, I will happily go with the unofficial versions. After all, I live in one of the most Third World parts of a Third World country without a functioning legal system. It's not like they can do anything to me....

Incenjucar

Legend
4E is the D&D I hadn't realized I had wanted all along. It's in dire need of a few more years of ardent experimentation, grid-filling, and a "build your own" toolkit followed by a 4.5 edition to clean out all of the flaws (Save ends Stun/Dominate :mad: )and math failures, but it's so much closer to the game I want to tell stories through than anything prior, even if 2E had a larger share of delicious fluff.

I'm about 50% of the way through a running one and playing in another full-length campaign, and I have been grinning ear to ear the whole way through.

Remove ads