• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Representing flying on the battle mat?

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
I picked up a couple of the combat tiers awhile back and used them in my last AoW campaign session. Overall my impression is.... meh.

They are great for static fights where there is little motion. I ran into problems when things started moving around. It's difficult to move them around other characters on the battlemap. Overall I wouldn't buy them again. All that said, I do have to say they seem to be really well made and balance pretty well.

I'd look at some of the Dr. Wizard elevation things. I want to buy some for my group, but they've been the butt of many jokes just based on the pretencious name and I'm not sure I can handle the mocking from my players :)

YMMV

rgard

Adventurer
Thanks - also found a place I could order those clear styrene boxes that are 1x1x3 at 40 cents a pop. I can order 50 of them for $20, then glue a few together to represent 30 or 45 feet off the ground.

I'd like to pick up some of those. Is it an on line source?

Thanks,
Rich

sjmiller

Explorer
I'd look at some of the Dr. Wizard elevation things. I want to buy some for my group, but they've been the butt of many jokes just based on the pretencious name and I'm not sure I can handle the mocking from my players :)
The funny thing is, they are actually patented. The name idea was taken from those old patent medicine shows. We just tend to call them Elevation Indicators.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'd like to pick up some of those. Is it an on line source?

Thanks,
Rich

This is the site I saw on a google search on "clear styrene boxes" Thanks to D'Karr for giving me the search info.

Clear Styrene Plastic Cubes

They have 1x1x3 in cartons of 50 - or $20 per box.

They also have bigger sizes (like (2 1/8 x 2 1/8 x 4.1/16) or (4x4x4)) for your bigger monsters. The bigger boxes are a bit more: the 2 1/8 x 2 1/18 carton has 50 in the carton, but the cost is 71 cents per box, or $35.50.

But, I figure you could put 4 of the 1x1x3 together for size Large, but it would be unwieldy to do it for size Huge, as you would need 16 to do 4x4.

Nebulous

Legend
I have several different pieces of foam of varying heights. I use those to represent characters flying at different heights.

Hmm. i have a bunch of packing foam pieces i kept around because i thought i could use them for something. Never could figure out quite what though...

C_M2008

First Post
The flying bases(clear cyclinders) from mageknight 2.0 work great. I just put a die underneath to indicate the # of squares up.

amysrevenge

First Post
One thing I end up doing quite frequently is drawing side views of combats (to show PCs down pits, or enemies on the roof, or whatever). Gives you a good idea of lines of sight and the like. Works OK for fliers as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads