• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Requesting Feat Guru help ! (PC needs a feat)

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Ferrix said:
It seems to me that you are playing it that you can activate the wand as if it were an offhand weapon, but that isn't the case, since it takes a standard action to activate a wand. Although I could easily just be reading this horribly wrong.

I don't think you can get much out of those turning attempts without a higher charisma and some divine feats, although maybe Glorious Weapons (it aligns all weapons of your allies to good within a 60 ft. burst till the end of your next turn).

Power Attack could still be a good option since it is the pre-requisite (alongside Str 13 and ability to turn/rebuke) for Divine Might which lets you add your charisma bonus to damage for one round. Although, you might want to up your Charisma if you want to use any divine feats.

A good feat for you could be Improved Buckler Defense, it let's you keep your buckler's AC bonus when fighting with two weapons (or technically a two-handed weapon), thus you could use your Bastard Sword two-handed and still get the AC bonus.

I don't think there will be much that could help you increase your to-hit, the fact that you lost a BAB by taking two levels of Cloistered Cleric hurts a bit.

Oh, no, he uses the bastard sword, and carries the wand. If he can't / doesn’t want to attack with the B. sword, he uses the wand. Web and Grease are good for controlling the battle, so they are his plan B (Plan A is the sword).

I see what you mean about the divine feats. I might just have to live with those wasted turning attempts. I don't really want to sink more points into Cha, I'd rather have the Con because he'll probably never be more than a 3rd level Paladin. It doesn't seem worth it.

I don't want to seem too stubborn, but if I wanted to use the bastard sword two handed, I would have used a two handed sword. To me, the "Exotic weapon - Bastard Sword" feat could have been called "+1 average damage over a long sword feat".

I also see what you mean about the Bab, but he's only one behind a fighter. Oddly enough, the Kensei (super-uber swordsman) has cleric Bab, so I'll fall further behind.

So, if I give up on using the turning attempts, everyone votes "Power Attack", huh? Is "Improved Toughness" a silly idea?

-Tatsu

P.S> Whoo hoo Southern Maine ! I'm a Kennebunk boy myself !

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Legend
I tried real hard to find a good Turning based feat for my combat Cleric, and also came up blank. IIRC, unless you've got a significant Charisma bonus, none of them are worth it.

There's a reason Power Attack is a staple, it's because it really does work that well. It's helpful when you're fighting something weak and don't want to waste time, when you're fighting something big and tough and clumsy, when you're stuck trying to beat DR without the right weapon, and when you just want it dead RIGHT NOW.

Targos

First Post
There are some divine feats that don't have any prerequisites. Glorious Weapon would be good if your DM uses 3.5 damage reduction. Sacred boost maximizes cure spells for a round. That's good for healing allies AND damaging undead. These two are from the Complete Divine. Devoted Tracker from the Complete Adventurer offers some synergy between the ranger & paladin classes. There are other divine feats in the Complete Warrior that may be of use. Actually the 3.5 Divine Vigor doesn't require power attack or 13 charisma.

cantrip

Explorer
Tatsukun said:
We play 3.5, but use some of the non-updated things from 3.0. In general, if there's a 3.5 version of something, we use it; if not, 3.0 is usually ok.
So 3.5 divine vigor would be ok? It's in complete warrior and has only turn/rebuke undead as prerequisite.

Shadeus

First Post
Does the cloistered cleric class have turning? I hope it does because paladins don't get turning now until 4th-level. Otherwise you won't qualify for divine vigor. It's only a 1 min boost of speed and hp, at your current charisma. Would a 2nd-level of ranger get you anything? It gets you the free two weapon fighting (if that's the path you choose) and a better Ref save.

Something to consider, because you reference wand usage several times. You can take a level of ranger to get the free feat and then take double wand wielder (I think that's the name) from Complete Arcane. It allows you to use two wands as a single standard action. But it costs you an extra charge from that second wand. It also gives you the option of using a second weapon in your off-hand. I believe there is a feat in CW that allows you to keep your AC bonus from a buckler when you have a weapon in your offhand which could be a level 9 feat.

Anyway, just some random thoughts....

Khristos

First Post
Such an odd combination of classes.... okay improved toughness is a bit of a waste as a feat IMO ... power attack opens up another combat skill tree the 12 charisma makes it dubious as to whether divine turning feats are overly worthwhile (glorious weapons is good for that)since there is VOP in the game I assume that BOED is allowed to draw feats from. urk..................

Okay if you can get a wand of eagle's splendor go with a divine turning feat otherwise go with power attack

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
cantrip said:
So 3.5 divine vigor would be ok? It's in complete warrior and has only turn/rebuke undead as prerequisite.

Wow, for some reason, I had never seen this!
I think we have a winner. Thanks Cantrip!

I know everyone wants Power Attack, but with this guy's fairly low attack bonus and the fact that he uses a one handed weapon, I don't think it's worth it.

Thank you all, this was VERY useful!

-Tatsu

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads