• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Requesting Help from fellow DM

Spikez

First Post
Im running both the campaigns, im just showing him how i set up my encounters and settings, and specificly how i do it to save work and make it more adaptable to players doing unexpected things. (he is running his own campaign but its quite cumbersome for him, so im trying to help him out a bit to make it easier to prepare)

Random Axe

Explorer
in retrospect telling the other guy everything was a stupid idea, same with running the campaigns within roughly the same timeframe. (will have to account for that in later campaigns) but i dont think its impossible to salvage if i make some changes and dont make it obvious when i introduce it that it is the undead killing smart blade which he knows about.

Here is where you have misled yourself. From what I read in the OP, you are teaching this other player the ins and outs about being a DM and building adventures and encounters. Ergo it was not a stupid idea to let him in on what you now believe to be an awesome idea.

Your choice is simple. Either you DON'T introduce this story aspect into your main campaign, assuming you can't trust this other player to not use Meta knowledge; or, you go ahead with the new story idea for the main campaign and bring this other player along with you. You ask his cooperation, to
a. not use the meta-knowledge he gained from helping to plan the smaller game, in the larger game; and
b. get his help from time to time to bounce ideas off from.

By doing this you get an ally at the table in running a good game. Never a stupid idea in my book.

Spikez

First Post
i dont think he would use the meta knowledge for his own benefit. its not that i distrust him from using meta knowledge, what i was referring to is more the geniuine roleplay reaction that comes with discovering something for the first time. it will probably be fine though, i have made changes to the original idea so it will work it i think. Its a pity i didnt realize how well this weapon idea would fit my large campaign earlier.

Thanks for the help all though.

wlmartin

Explorer
Doesnt need to be complicated, just tell that guy not to say anything and its important he doesnt

If you want to see my full thoughts on it, see the spoiler below but it really is as simple as the above

Just tell the guy you told your plan to move it to the main campaign and give him some gentle words on meta and ask him to keep quiet about it.

If he tells anyone else, he is ruining the experience for others and that type of player is someone I would boot out of my group anyways because he immediately defies me in a way that puts my back up, makes my life harder and I just couldn't trust him then on.

Doesn't need to get any different than that

What if it was IRL and you told your friend about buying your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend a present but instead decide to wait until its her birthday in 4 months to give it to her.
If you believe your friend would go behind your back after you explicitly tell them not to say a word, are you ever trusting him again

Spikez

First Post
I have rewritten a great deal of the story for the main campaign so the meta issue wont really be a matter anymore i think.

I do appreciate the replies and it gave me quite a few good ideas on how to handle the situation.

At the moment im looking for someone who i can bounce ideas off of both story and mechanics wise. I can also return the favor if that is wanted. If anyone is interested please toss me a PM

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads