• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Requiem for a Dungeon Master - A Play of the Early D&D Years

Jacob

Explorer
I'm uncertain about the amount of publicity a new Broom Street Theater play is getting, and I want to make sure it gets notice due to the nature of the play, because I'm uncertain of how rare and important this is in consideration to the history of Dungeons & Dragons. To the point: Broom Street Theater of Madison, WI, is putting on a play called Requiem for a Dungeon Master January 10 - February 1 (Thursday - Saturday). It is a telling of Gary Gygax and the company he kept as they lived (and gamed) through the process of creating Dungeons & Dragons. Information on the play has been sparse up until this last week, and I've been meaning to meet with the writer/director of the play without much success. All the same, want to make sure the gaming world knows about the play so it can have a chance to see a good audience.

A little more information can be gleaned from a recent MadStage Podcast episode, otherwise...I'm hoping some gamers show up and see a perspective of how their hobby came to be. Yeah, I know, the chance of getting this post seen by someone in Wisconsin is slim, even if I consider this to be one of the bigger gaming forums of the net. But D&D has it's origins in Wisconsin, so...it's worth a shot. ;)

jasper

Rotten DM
oww niche theatre for a niche hobby. Can bring my beret and bong drums?
This very interesting. Hopefully they be able to record it and put on you tube.

Jacob

Explorer
oww niche theatre for a niche hobby. Can bring my beret and bong drums?
This very interesting. Hopefully they be able to record it and put on you tube.

I do know that plays are sometimes recorded for internal use (commercials, nostalgia viewings, etc.), though on if this play will get such treatment or even be shared publicly is uncertain at this time. Would be a difficult one to record, given how the stage is set in a triangle with three different entrances, but it's used to great advantage. I liked it so much I've been saying, "Triangle Power!" all week. :p

And given how I'm speaking of the stage, yes, got to see it last Friday and WOW it's a good show. It's term and gaming heavy in sections, but it's charming for those who don't understand it and gold for those who do. Lots of energy, seamless transitions through time lapses, and performed by four amazing actors in multiple roles. I've made sure to spread the word to gaming stores around the area. Hopefully gamers of all types will get a chance to see this. :)

Remove ads