• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rescue at Rivenroar Posted

Bagpuss

Legend
And no mention of the miraculous Antler and Thistle tavern, that's bigger on the inside than on the outside, either.

We could be kind and assume that's a different tavern a little ways down the street. Perhaps one that is actually marked on the map of Brindol.

Last edited:

DNH

First Post
Did I miss a an overview or summary of the entire AP, or has WotC simply not supplied one (yet?)

I can largely ignore the whole campaign setting problem (meaning the lack of info and background on Brindol and Elsir Vale) because I will be setting this in Karameikos anyway. And, to be honest, I take the "points of light" thing to be a campaign approach and not a full-blown setting. I actually applaud the adventure being background-light, as it allows for any DM to adapt it more easily. Just take a look at most non-setting-specific Dungeon adventures of the past 20 years and they will usually have about the same amount of info, and the words "but can be adapted to any suitable fantasy world with a large forested area" or similar.

I can also largely ignore the editing issues. I do think they are worrying, though - evidence of slipshod writing, editing and publishing which really should not be there. This is not the first product WotC has released. But, there are workarounds and the whole is not unintelligible for it.

What I find inexcusable though is the omission of a campaign overview. How is any DM going to know whether or not the SoW AP is going to be worth the investments of time and money based on just a few lines of empty rhetoric - "most ambitious Adventure Path ... 30 levels through 18 adventures ... shaping the history of the world for centuries to come"? That tells us nothing of what we want to know. No, not want, need.

We have read on this forum and elsewhere how the omission is evidence of WotC not actually possessing a campaign overview. I cannot believe that is true (... though there is a niggling doubt there). Surely no-one would set out on such an undertaking without having a detailed plan of what the over-arching story is. Surely no-one would expect the adventure authors to write the various instalments without knowing what was happening before and what was to happen afterwards. All we have so far is that which is in Rescue at Rivenroar, and the title of the next adventure - Siege of Bordrin's Watch. That and the 'Scales of War' campaign title. That all sounds very interesting, and conjures up a fair amount of ideas, but it's just two 18ths of the overall campaign.

Come on Wizards, we need more. Show us what you have in store. Tell us your plans. Give us an overview. It might just convince some to subscribe to DDI and go all-out 4e.

Tuerny

First Post
Honestly, I am planning on rewriting the adventure beyond the first two encounters. Those are fun, but the rest is kind of a mess. That kind of defeats the point oh having an adventure path, but maybe the next one will be better...

Vanuslux

Explorer
We have read on this forum and elsewhere how the omission is evidence of WotC not actually possessing a campaign overview. I cannot believe that is true (... though there is a niggling doubt there). Surely no-one would set out on such an undertaking without having a detailed plan of what the over-arching story is. Surely no-one would expect the adventure authors to write the various instalments without knowing what was happening before and what was to happen afterwards. All we have so far is that which is in Rescue at Rivenroar, and the title of the next adventure - Siege of Bordrin's Watch. That and the 'Scales of War' campaign title. That all sounds very interesting, and conjures up a fair amount of ideas, but it's just two 18ths of the overall campaign.

I have a hard time believing that there's a solid plan in all this. They obviously rushed the first adventure and that shows they've not exactly had this in the stewpot very long aside from "Hey, we need to do an adventure path because they were popular when Paizo was doing them." I'm sure they have vague ideas, but I'm betting that they haven't hammered it all down yet and that's why there's no kind of overview.

questing gm

First Post
I hope they put some background info on what happened to the Elsir Vale and Brindol after 10 years in next month's Dragon (and also the missing pieces of the 1st adventure). :.-(

catsclaw227

First Post
I hope they put some background info on what happened to the Elsir Vale and Brindol after 10 years in next month's Dragon (and also the missing pieces of the 1st adventure). :.-(

This would be nice. I have RHoD and knowing what went on in the past 10 years would be nice support information.

Oh, yea... and fixing/errata the 1st adventure's problem-bits would be nice too.

functionciccio

First Post
Honestly, I am planning on rewriting the adventure beyond the first two encounters.

Ditto.

Moreover, what happens if the PCs capture Sinruth?
Has Sinruth met with this "Emissary"?
Who brought the letter to the hobgoblin leader?
Is the adventure suggesting that Sinruth has risked his life for a bunch of commoners and some useless items because someone has sent him a letter?

questing gm

First Post
Ditto.

Moreover, what happens if the PCs capture Sinruth?
Has Sinruth met with this "Emissary"?
Who brought the letter to the hobgoblin leader?
Is the adventure suggesting that Sinruth has risked his life for a bunch of commoners and some useless items because someone has sent him a letter?

I'm suspecting that these questions would be answered in future adventures as the adventure path comes along (noticing a similar trend in Shackled City which I hope is not :eek:).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads