• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resist and Damage type

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I'm trying to figure something out here that make no sense to me.

Ok, If I have resist fire 5 and I'm attacked for 10 fire damage then i only take 5 damage.

If I have fire immunity and attacked for 10 fire damage I take nothing.

That all makes sense.

But either I'm not running it right, or it breaks down on multiple damage types

resist fire 5 and attacked for 10 fire and necrotic i take 5 damage

fire immunity and attacked for 10 fire and necrotic i take 10 necrotic so with multiple damage type attacks, resist is better than immune?

Something is wrong with that.

DracoSuave

First Post
You're right, that IS doubleplusungood.

But that's okay, they figured that out a year ago; check the errata.

If you only have resist 5 fire, no resist necrotic, and you take 10 fire and necrotic damage, you don't resist any of it.

Griogre

First Post
This changed in the errata:

Keywords [Revision]
Player’s Handbook, page 55
Replace the second and third sentences of the fourth paragraph with the following: “Also, resistance doesn’t reduce damage unless the target has resistance to each type of damage from the attack, and then only the weakest of the resistances applies. For example, a character who has resist 10 lightning and resist 5 thunder who takes 15 lightning and thunder damage takes 10 damage because the resistance value to the combined damage types is limited by the lesser of the two resistances.”

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Thank you, I scoured the PHB, the DMG and the MM, did it real quick during a game and was like, ok ok quick rulling the resist works, and I'll go back over it later

Didn't even think to check errata, Thanks everyone

Griogre

First Post
No problem. There were two total changes from the printed PH book. The Resistance thing was a complete 180 degree turn. The other was a 100% total re-write of how the Stealth skill works. This in turn lead to changes with Invisible Creatures and Stealth. The rest or the PH erratta modifies powers with about 2/3 of the changes meant to fight off rule's lawers and the rest important.

Thundershield

First Post
While this rarely is relevant, I should point out that immunity likely is intended to count as Resist (infinite) for purposes of this.

Otherwise being hit by an attack dealing fire and poison damage while having Immune Poison and Resist 10 Fire would still deal full damage as you're not resistant to both and not immune to both either.

That's just me pointing out a minor flaw in the wording, but it's good to know in case one of your players turns out to be a rules lawyer.

theshard

First Post
While this rarely is relevant, I should point out that immunity likely is intended to count as Resist (infinite) for purposes of this.

Otherwise being hit by an attack dealing fire and poison damage while having Immune Poison and Resist 10 Fire would still deal full damage as you're not resistant to both and not immune to both either.

That's just me pointing out a minor flaw in the wording, but it's good to know in case one of your players turns out to be a rules lawyer.

Ok you lost me on how you reached that conclusion. Consider each a different entity but only take the lower common denominator. In your example, 10 fire resist.

DracoSuave

First Post
Actually, something with immunity poison and resist fire hit with a Poison, Fire power would take zero damage and have zero negative effects, because immunity to foo completely negates foo effects, which means powers with foo keyword.

So, the damage never -happens- for the resistance to Fire to matter.

Mahali

Explorer
Immunity is considered infinate resist.

So if you're not immune to all damage types from an attack you're taking damage.

10 pts Poison and Fire damage with
Immune Poison, Resist Fire 5

You take 5. You resist all the poison and resist 5 fire.

DracoSuave

First Post
No, immunity is NOT Infinite Resist.

Resistance and Immunity are not the same rule, and are not related.

Immunity to foo means you do not take foo damage -and- you suffer no ill effect from a foo effect. That means if someone uses a Fire, Poison power on you, the damage types do not matter, because you are immune to the entire power. All effects of a power share its keywords

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads