• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resistance and DR

Smurtis

First Post
Do different resistances stack? Does resistance stack with damage reduction?

Example 1:

Neck: resist fire 10
Superior fortitude: resist 3 ongoing dmg

I get hit for ongoing 15 fire dmg. Do i reduce it by a total of 13? or just the better of the two?

Example 2:

Insubstantial: reduce dmg by half

I get hit by an attack for 20 fire dmg. Do i take half damage (now 10) then reduce it by 10 for the resist? Is there a certain order? do they stack?

the Jester

Legend
Generally speaking, resistances overlap (do not stack).

Regarding the insubstantial question- from the Rules Compendium, pg 226 under "Half Damage":

When a power or effect deals half damage, first apply all modifiers to the damage, include resistances and vulnerabilities, and then divide the damage in half (rounded down).

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Right with what The Jester is saying, just to clear it up a bit more.

Example 1; if you are taking 15 ongoing fire you reduce it by the higher of the two, in this case 10, and you would take 5 damage on the start of your turn. If it is another kind of damage or a combo fire/something else you would take 12 damage.

Example 2; you take the 20 fire and resist the 10 before you apply the insubstantial cut in half affect. so you would take (20-10)/2= 5 points.

wlmartin

Explorer
Do different resistances stack? Does resistance stack with damage reduction?

Example 1:

Superior fortitude: resist 3 ongoing dmg

When 1 type of damage is concerned (ie Fire or Thunder) the best resistance you have to counter that kicks in.

So if you have Resist All / 3 and Resist Fire / 5 ... And are attacked with a Fire attack, the first 5 points are soaked up your resistance... not the first 8. However if you are attacked by Thunder, since the only relevant resistance here is Resist All, you get the first 3 soaked up.

When multiple combined type is concerned (such as a Fire & Thunder attack) providing it is combined and not 2 separate attacks (for example Tiamat has a Combined attack for all heads as 1 attack) then you need resistance to all of the types (or a resist all) and if these values are difference (ie Acid / 3 and Fire / 2) it is the lowest value that is considered.. weakest chain in the link mentality works here.
[/quote]
Example 2:

Insubstantial: reduce dmg by half

I get hit by an attack for 20 fire dmg. Do i take half damage (now 10) then reduce it by 10 for the resist? Is there a certain order? do they stack?

Insubstantial applies at the end after damage calculation.

So if in your example you have 10 resist and are hit by 20 fire, you resist the first 10 points of damage leaving 10 left... assuming no other modifiers kick in then you take 10 damage... however if you have insubstantial this kicks in just before you take the damage meaning you take 5

Hope this explains it

Remove ads