• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resistance is futile... you will upgrade to 3.5!

coyote6 said:

I wonder if there will be enough non-converters to sustain a 3.0 d20 market of any appreciable size.

(Me, I'd be tempted to write a 3.5e book full of less nerfy spells. ;) )

At a guess--and of course, I'm far more familiar with the creative side of the industry than the business one, so I could be wrong--I'd say probably not.

First off, you're dealing with a small portion of the market to begin with. In addition to the percentage of the market that's going to convert--and from everything I've seen, those who don't plan to convert are a minority--all new players from this point on will be playing 3.5. Further, once 3.0 becomes unavailable (or not easily available), and as more and more products are produced for 3.5 only, even many of those who didn't initially plan to convert will do so out of necessity or convenience.

Ultimately, products that remain focused entirely on 3.0 will represent not only a minority of the market, but an ever and always shrinking portion of it. It simply wouldn't be a profitable choice.

Now, a product that provides both sets of stats might be feasible. But the simple fact is, as many minor changes as there may be, a 3.5 NPC or creature is fully playable and balanced in 3.0 and vice-versa. It might not be identical to the 3.0 version, but it will be equally usable.

Tuerny

First Post
Re: Re: Arcana Unearthed

Michael Tree said:

Ooo, yes.

For me, the question isn't "should I buy the 3.5 PH?" It's "should I buy the 3.5 PH or Mindshadows and Testament. It's "Should I buy the 3.5 DMG or the new Dragonlance setting book."

Indeed. I think I am pretty much decided that I am going to just get Mindshadows and Arcana Unearthed.

The rest of the group has expressed indifferent over everything so this saves me the need to actually purchase the upgraded books. (Though I might get the upgraded MM anyway. I am weak like that).

I won't be switching to 3.5, at least not wholesale. Going over the Word doc Olgar was so kind to provide, I find I disagree with 75% of the listed changes. They're "fixing" a lot of things that plain weren't broken.

nharwell

Explorer
When my current campaign ends (in the next couple months), I plan on starting an AU game. 3.5e looks like a mixed bag -- for most of the "things that needed to be fixed," I greatly prefer my house rules over the design team's changes....

Cedric

First Post
I am mostly happy with the changes made to D&D by 3.0....but there were some issues I had problems with.

I feel that 3.5 takes those same issues and makes them even worse. So I refuse to "upgrade" I feel that it is by and large garbage.

I will however feel free to pick and choose a few items to add to my game, they did do some really good stuff. (Cohort XP changes and many more).

Cedric

Xeoble

First Post
I'm a tool, I ordered them in June.

From what i've seen, I like the changes, but its all up to my group and ultimately my DM, but he's pretty accommodating and enjoys making things his own, so we shall see.

Necrobeer

First Post
I plan on upgrading when the new books come out. My group is also planning on changing their characters when the books are in my drunken, evil hands. And one thing I liked about the scans from the DM's guide, better art for the blackguard.:D

gamecat

Explorer
Not me. In fact, WotC has been sending robotic assassins from the future to find and kill me. A malfunctioning one has been sent back to protect me...

saw T3 last nite... heh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads