• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reskinning monsters, how much are DMs using it to bulk up monster options?

Krakenspire

First Post
Re-skinning is on a gradient, there's the orc with lipstick reskin (no really, its just a very angry barmaid) and then there is the take a base monster and convert it with different abilities to what you want. Depends I suppose on your definition of reskin.

I do this all the time with monsters. Made alchemicaly created humans as opponents in 4e, took a shifter and used the shifter bonus as the draining of their green magical syringes (ala Bane) to make them more powerful. Needed alchemical exploding creatures, took giant rats and then gave them an explosion of acid when they reached 0 hp. Needed a large mutated master creature that smashed through walls from the evil laboratory, took a troll, gave it armour, took away bite attacks, changed claw to smash upped the AC and then gave it a surge power similar to what shifters had. All the same adventure just gradual shifting of the monsters down the line with more and more mod work.

Cosmetic and tactical changes or behaviour changes are often what is needed to give an encounter a completely different feel. For example I wanted my party to fight something at low level over a wide bridge. I wanted something flying that could go under or over the bridge and swoop down on them. Using the pseudodragon stats I had the party fight winged harpy like demons. The sting was venomous claws. The demons swarm attacked any creature that fell unconscious from the poison and tried to eat them, as they were just that nasty. They would swoop in, slash with claws, disengage and fly away to let the poison work. Then another would swoop in from a different angle. I described them as quarrelsome, dirty and shrieking (which they could hear in their heads due to telepathy). Their telepathy filled the players thoughts with the feelings of rage, hunger and images of blood, tearing flesh and death. The party had no clue it was a pseudodragon template. It was an interesting and different location, had a new and unexpected monster and forced some interesting tactical choices on the players (so if I throw my axe that way and miss, does it end up in the chasm??). Re-skinned in 3 min... tonnes of fun.

Some good ideas here.
Maybe OP would have preferred the explanation the they were normal orcs who had been bitten by radioactive spiders?
Hey, leave me out of that. I'd had described it as the orcs had a warlock-esque pact with a spider fiend and leave it at that. But my reskinning ideas probably involve more the reduction of special abilities, like bulking up Hobgoblin ranks with the CR 1/8th Hobgoblin Ashigaru (Guard stats) who haven't yet developed the disturbingly close to sneak attack Martial Advantage ability.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I do it constantly. I wanted something like a Kraker (only a non epic game-ender) to attack my PC's vessel. Lots of tentacles and more coming all the time.

just bumped a Hydra up to gargantuan and gave it a swim speed. The heads were now tentacles and did Bludgeoning damage and could grapple.

Worked like a charm

DaveDash

Explorer
I critically hit the Bard in my party with this fella (He took about 117 damage). The Abjurer throwing his Arcane Ward over the Bard saved him.

Kuo-Toa Assassin
Medium Humanoid (Kua-Toa), Neutral Evil
Armor Class 18 (natural armour)
Hit Points 266
Speed: 30ft., swim 30ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 (+0) 20 (+5) 18 (+4) 11 (+0) 14(+2) 16 (+3)
Saving Throws Dexterity +10, Constitution +9, Wisdom +7
Skills Perception +10, Stealth +7, Acrobatics +7
Senses darkvision 120ft., passive Perception 20
Languages Undercommon
Challenge 14 (11,500XP)

Amphibious. The kuo-toa can breath air and water.
Otherworldly Perception. The kuo-toa can sense the presence of any creature within 30 feet of it that is invisible or on the Ethereal Plane. It can pinpoint such a creature that is moving.
Slippery. The kuo-toa has advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to escape a grapple.
Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the kuo-toa has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (perception) checks that rely on sight.
Assassinate. During its first turn, the assassin has advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn. Any hit the assassin scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.

Evasion. When the kuo-toa is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw for half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.

Sneak attack (1/turn). The kuo-toa deals an extra 13 (4d6) damage when it hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of the kuo-toa that isn’t incapacitated, and the ally doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The kua-toa makes two dagger attacks.
Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d4+5) piercing damage plus 28 (8d6) poison damage, and the target must make a DC 17 constitution saving throw of be poisoned.

I have about 20-30 more 5e conversions here (and more offline): http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?414777-My-custom-monsters-and-NPC-s

Last edited:

Theovis

Explorer
I love it, fantastic way to throw stuff at the players without their 30 years of experience telling them, "Oh, it's X, we just need to Y."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads