Resources for people looking to teach newbies?

The Souljourner

First Post
I had an idea to teach some middle school/high school kids in town about D&D specifically and RPGs in general. Are there any good resources out there for helping with that? I've googled and found a smattering of one-off threads and videos about it, but nothing terribly in-depth. I've been out of serious playing for about 5 years (since my first kid was born), so I'm kind of out of the loop on basically everything (have 5th edition core books, have skimmed them but only played a couple adventures).

Obviously, suggestions in this thread are great, but I was wondering if there was a more comprehensive place to look - someone who has done a lot of this and shared their experiences.

Thanks!
-Nate

SunGold

First Post
Have you considered just having them watch any of the popular actual play shows? I've seen a number of people say that they started playing because shows like Critical Role demystified D&D for them. Getting to see the game in action, how combat & turns work, etc. may be more fun than watching someone explain rules.

Maybe just have them skim the basic rules, watch a little actual play (here's Critical Role episode 1), and then learn "on the job," as it were.

Whatever you go with, good luck & have fun! :)

The Souljourner

First Post
Great idea, thanks. I'm still getting used to the idea that playing online is something people actually do (and moreso that they record it). I watched some of Critical Role, it's pretty awesome. Getting voice actors to do it is an awesome idea (not just the voice part, but the acting part).

Remove ads