• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Respect for the DM?

Nikroecyst

First Post
Im wondering if I am being really picky or if any other DMs have had this problem more recently than previously.

In the past I had very little problems with players. Every group generally has a problem player but thats to be expected. Now adays though I see more and more people who either don't respect what the DM is doing or don't care.

Now you can chalk alot of this up to people not respecting other people, which fudimentally, is prolly what its all about. But Im wondering if there is a deeper issue here. Like maybe the way the game mechanics are taught or even the game mechanics themselfs.

I will give examples of what I mean by players "disrespecting" thier Dms.

1.) As a DM you pour over sources, books, and stories collecting ideas and building a game. You make it unique and involve all the players and characters to make it interesting for everyone. When you get to your second or even your first scene of the evening and the players don't like what they are fighting or were suprised to see themselfs at a disadvantage for once they get upset and claim that the encounter is "unfair" due to the fact that they have to work for thier treasure.

2.) You warn the group ahead of time that a rule will be changed for a paticular encounter. You explain why to the best of your ability without giving away the encounter ahead of time. You also go through the effort of making sure that everyone in the group fully understands the new rule. When it comes time to use the rule and they dont' like it, they refer to it as "retarded" or "stupid". Instead of simply telling you why they dont' like it and why its effects are too negetive, they go on a rant about how "dumb" it is, without citing a reason why. These types of things could be taken personally becaue you spend every free minute you have writting for them and they, inturn, bash your game.

3.) When some one in the group requests an item from a source book or a source you paticularly don't like, trust, or you may even think it is broken. At first a second appeal is to be expected providing that they can give a decent reason why THEY think it would be ok for them to have it in your game. But when you have to say "No" 3, 4, and even 5 times what do you do then? You may have reasons that you cannot reveal to them yet. The item or ability may not fit the campaign world. The item may even be broken. Isn't it a little disrespectful to assume that your DM is just skrewing you or not considering your opinion of what is fun?

4.) Last one, I promise. I get the attitude from my players, more often than not, that the game is them vs me. Not the characters against the monsters, enemy, or even the challenge. I, the DM am targeted alot with snide, offensive, or even generally mean comments. Which I usually tack up to them just meaning to aim thier comments at the villians in the game and not me. But it goes beyond comments or name calling. They expect me to skrew them at every turn and they expect me to try to kill them every chance I get. This is generally not my intention, I write and perform every game, whether they realize it or not, with plenty of chances for them to get out of every bad situation they put themselfs in. An example of this is a paticular player who continously makes bad decisions and gets himself killed often (once every 3 games on average). He gets mad at me that "I" kill him or that my games are too tough.

Now don't get me wrong, I have had a million fun times with these same people but I feal heavily underappriciated and generally abused as a DM. I feal that it is harder than people think to write a game and even hard to write a GOOD game. I feal that there is more to just throwing together some story and plot line. You want everyone in the group to have a good time and be entertained therefore you have to manage the tastes and concerns of everyone at your game table including you.

Granted there is alot of whinning in here and those who know me best will even say that I am just whinning. So give it to me straight! Is this me or has respect for the DM gone the way of the dinosaur?

PoeticJustice

First Post
Nikroecyst said:
Im wondering if I am being really picky or if any other DMs have had this problem more recently than previously.

In the past I had very little problems with players. Every group generally has a problem player but thats to be expected. Now adays though I see more and more people who either don't respect what the DM is doing or don't care.

Now you can chalk alot of this up to people not respecting other people, which fudimentally, is prolly what its all about. But Im wondering if there is a deeper issue here. Like maybe the way the game mechanics are taught or even the game mechanics themselfs.

I will give examples of what I mean by players "disrespecting" thier Dms.

1.) As a DM you pour over sources, books, and stories collecting ideas and building a game. You make it unique and involve all the players and characters to make it interesting for everyone. When you get to your second or even your first scene of the evening and the players don't like what they are fighting or were suprised to see themselfs at a disadvantage for once they get upset and claim that the encounter is "unfair" due to the fact that they have to work for thier treasure.

2.) You warn the group ahead of time that a rule will be changed for a paticular encounter. You explain why to the best of your ability without giving away the encounter ahead of time. You also go through the effort of making sure that everyone in the group fully understands the new rule. When it comes time to use the rule and they dont' like it, they refer to it as "retarded" or "stupid". Instead of simply telling you why they dont' like it and why its effects are too negetive, they go on a rant about how "dumb" it is, without citing a reason why. These types of things could be taken personally becaue you spend every free minute you have writting for them and they, inturn, bash your game.

3.) When some one in the group requests an item from a source book or a source you paticularly don't like, trust, or you may even think it is broken. At first a second appeal is to be expected providing that they can give a decent reason why THEY think it would be ok for them to have it in your game. But when you have to say "No" 3, 4, and even 5 times what do you do then? You may have reasons that you cannot reveal to them yet. The item or ability may not fit the campaign world. The item may even be broken. Isn't it a little disrespectful to assume that your DM is just skrewing you or not considering your opinion of what is fun?

4.) Last one, I promise. I get the attitude from my players, more often than not, that the game is them vs me. Not the characters against the monsters, enemy, or even the challenge. I, the DM am targeted alot with snide, offensive, or even generally mean comments. Which I usually tack up to them just meaning to aim thier comments at the villians in the game and not me. But it goes beyond comments or name calling. They expect me to skrew them at every turn and they expect me to try to kill them every chance I get. This is generally not my intention, I write and perform every game, whether they realize it or not, with plenty of chances for them to get out of every bad situation they put themselfs in. An example of this is a paticular player who continously makes bad decisions and gets himself killed often (once every 3 games on average). He gets mad at me that "I" kill him or that my games are too tough.

Now don't get me wrong, I have had a million fun times with these same people but I feal heavily underappriciated and generally abused as a DM. I feal that it is harder than people think to write a game and even hard to write a GOOD game. I feal that there is more to just throwing together some story and plot line. You want everyone in the group to have a good time and be entertained therefore you have to manage the tastes and concerns of everyone at your game table including you.

Granted there is alot of whinning in here and those who know me best will even say that I am just whinning. So give it to me straight! Is this me or has respect for the DM gone the way of the dinosaur?

Take a week off. Seriously. Refuse to service their boneheadedness. Let them know they'll have one chance to retain your services as a DM before you close shop entirely. Around here (Richmond, Va), DMs are pretty rare. If you're in a position to leverage your talents to get what you want, I say do it!

Jayouzts

First Post
While I do not disagree with the posters who said you should discuss your concerns with your players, I think you did want an objective viewpoint first. So here goes.

Nikroecyst said:
1.) When you get to your second or even your first scene of the evening and the players don't like what they are fighting or were suprised to see themselfs at a disadvantage for once they get upset and claim that the encounter is "unfair" due to the fact that they have to work for thier treasure.

Without knowing more about the specifics of the encounter, I would say they are being whiny. Even if the encounter is too tough, they can run away - right? Now if they are running away more often than not then maybe your encounters are too tough. Or maybe they are just risk-averse.

Nikroecyst said:
2.) You warn the group ahead of time that a rule will be changed for a paticular encounter.

I would need some specifics here. Is this a new houserule, or is there something about the encounter that makes it function different from normal (i.e. it takes place in the Abyss so no good-aligned spells work). Houserules are fine but they should be consistently applied and not changed will-nilly.

Nikroecyst said:
3.) But when you have to say "No" 3, 4, and even 5 times what do you do then?

Yeah that is annoying. But all you can do is stick with your guns. Eventually they will give up.

Nikroecyst said:
4.) Last one, I promise. I get the attitude from my players, more often than not, that the game is them vs me. Not the characters against the monsters, enemy, or even the challenge. I, the DM am targeted alot with snide, offensive, or even generally mean comments. Which I usually tack up to them just meaning to aim thier comments at the villians in the game and not me. But it goes beyond comments or name calling. They expect me to skrew them at every turn and they expect me to try to kill them every chance I get. This is generally not my intention, I write and perform every game, whether they realize it or not, with plenty of chances for them to get out of every bad situation they put themselfs in. An example of this is a paticular player who continously makes bad decisions and gets himself killed often (once every 3 games on average). He gets mad at me that "I" kill him or that my games are too tough. ?

If the players are this abusive, then I would find another group. The DM has to have fun too. And if it is not fun, why run?

Besides that it almost sounds as if you are an old-school DM playing with a new-school group of players. Its a clash of play styles.

Last edited:

bento

Explorer
Have you talked about what your players really want from the game?

Group #1
Have everything go their way.
Always get the coolest items.
Fight foes that they have a decent chance against.​

OR

Group #2
Lose often.
Denied obtaining their desires.
Rarely have the opportunity to use their feats.​

It sounds like from you're description they want group #1 and you want group #2. You need to compromise.

I've come to the conclusion that I give my players what they want EXCEPT when it ruins the balance for the other players (and not me). I can always find bigger and better foes that they can cleave through, fireball and do other cool things to. But when one player far out-distances another player's (or several player's) abilities, its time to scale them back. Everyone has picked a role in the party, and its your job to make them shine during the game.

Last edited:

baradtgnome

First Post
I agree that you should tell the group how you feel. Additionally ask if someone else in the group can DM for a while, even if it is only for a short while. This will let you see how the group is with another DM, and give you some additional perspective. You may get another advocate on your side, or you may learn the group works fine with another DM and this groups style does not suit your DM style.

I fall in the category of giving the DM high respect - because I DM about half the time or maybe more, and appreciate the huge effort that goes into making a game run.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I would begin bringing in some new players and cutting loose the more disrespectful of those in the current group.

1.) I would suggest that the players just try to do their best and understand that they are not always going to win. Invite them to retreat if they feel outmatched and let them know that that is sometimes going to be the case.

2.) I do not think it is wise to change a rule for only an encounter and believe that consistency is the best policy. It is possible that players will not always know about all modifiers and circumstance, thus not understand just what rules are being brought to bear, but explaining that as the case should solve any protests on that score.

3.) I explain in advance what books are fair game for a campaign and stick to that. I had one player who needed to be cut loose due to weekly, constant whining which I put up with for a few months before shifting the campaign and explaining he was no longer going to be a part of it. I may have let it go on too long, in fact.

4.) I counter every protest regarding the Us vs. the DM routine by explaing that the player make decisions and I failitate the consequences but if they wish to play versus me in other games, I am happy to make some time and do so.

I'm at the game table to have fun as much as any other player and do not feel it is my burden to have to listen to any more protests than fairly gets concerns across, and certainly none of a disrespectul nature. However, if ALL of the players are against you, it may be that you need to find a new group entirely. You are certainly, als, under no obligation to run a game that you do not enjoy running, though you might find this leaves you with few to no opportunities if the game you wish to run is uniquely uninteresting to any other player on the planet.

Remove ads