• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ressurect or die?

Slife

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Now thinking about how incredible these saving rates must be---I sure don't save half of what I make---just to allow these well-off craftspeople and warriors to raise someone once in a lifetime, I think you can see the reason these spells don't have much effect on the world.

You pay for that social security plan, neh? Does that not amount to a third of your finances? Do you save a sixth of what you earn?

Hellefire

First Post
LOL, funny thread. I particularly like the Monty Python bit and the thoughts about what our world would be like with ressurection. Me, if it's available, I'll take it if I like the character, I won't if I want to move onto something new. Hasn't been that available in recent years because I've had trouble finding games (been in Poland for 2 years and I dont speak Polish, now in Kansas and can't find much in the way of games). Anyway, that's my .02

Aaron

STARP_JVP

First Post
Most DMs I know don't allow resurrection or raising the dead, including myself. What's the point in trying to stay alive if it's just a case of the cleric going "upsydaisy" and you're good as new? I've seen campaigns come dangerously close to Nodwick territory. If you die, you die. No use whining about it.

Aristotle

First Post
In standard D&D settings, I allow it by the book. It's there, use it if you can afford it. Any and all restrictions most definately apply though.

In the homebrew I've been working on it is not readily available (because I personally dislike ressurection but also because of setting elements). There is no true "afterlife" in the setting. The souls of all living things, from plants to dragons and everything in between, are reincarnated. There are a number of classes, feats, and so on that take advantage of reincarnation and what traits/memories one might be able to retain from one life to the next.

As reincarnation is the proven path death is not as dark as it is in other settings, though still sad, and the very idea of bringing something back to life rather than allowing it to progress naturally to its next life is anathema to the religions and people of the world.

Still, ressurection is possible through the use of an ancient and forbidden ritual (that requires a willing sacrifice of another life of 'equal or greater importance'). Chaotic souls (the setting focuses on chaos vs order rather than good vs evil) can sometimes be retreived by powerful demons through a pact... if you're willing to pay a price.

I do not think I would ressurect any of my characters.

However, the DM in my game has a "one chance" rule: you can get brought back once - after that you're dead for good.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
It depends on how much I have invested in the character.

If I really like the character and/or I've played the character for a substantial amount of time, I'll opt for resurrect if it's an option.

If I'm only so-so about the character or it's relatively new, I'll just roll up another one, no questions asked.

But (and you're not really asking this question and it might set some people off) I dislike not having the option to choose either way.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
It depends upon how my character views death. My general outlook is, once they're dead, they stay dead. However, I have had two characters ressurected. The first of those was a character who wouldn't have wanted to come back. The DM sat me down and basically said, "Look, the others are royally screwed if he doesn't come back. He can go his own way after the session is over, but we need him true ress'd." I went along with it and brought in a new character the next session, but bringing him back STILL feels wrong three years later. The other that got ress'd expected it of the group, even though this was the first session of the game (10th level mini-mod). Took the level hit and came back as bitchy as ever.

There was another that the group was unwilling to bring back in anyway, shape or form (my poor wild mage). There was one more whom the group would have raised. Unfortunately, he had been turned into a vilewight and they weren't willing to shell out the extra five thousand for the ressurection.

The two who got ress'd were from one gaming group over the course of two seperate games. The two that didn't were from another gaming group, both in the same campaign.

Cinderfall

First Post
Ressurection and the world

I think raising the dead would happen alot more than people are giving credit. For example, what if you're a good-hearted cleric and one of the locals dies in a wagon accident? What if their family is going to suffer because of it? Do you do nothing? What if the locals KNOW you can do it and it costs you virtually nothing? Hell, what if they know you can do it MULTIPLE times a day?

Now it has already come up about the money limitations. I think this is a video game like mechanic that makes the service functional in the game. I think that the above mentioned good-hearted cleric would (assuming that since he/she can raise any shmoe with gold, he/she could do it for the general good) help his/her flock by doing this service for free or atleast a reduced cost. What does it say about the temple if they ONLY do it for those with cash?

As related to the actual topic, no, I do not generally partake in ressurection as either a player (even if it's available) or a DM (I make sure my players know this going in). I personally believe that it cheapens the work up to that point.

Remove ads