• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ressurect or die?

Staffan

Legend
Cinderfall said:
I think raising the dead would happen alot more than people are giving credit. For example, what if you're a good-hearted cleric and one of the locals dies in a wagon accident? What if their family is going to suffer because of it? Do you do nothing? What if the locals KNOW you can do it and it costs you virtually nothing? Hell, what if they know you can do it MULTIPLE times a day?
Thing is, it doesn't cost you virtually nothing. It costs you 5,000 gp - that's the material component of raise dead.

Philip

Explorer
I hear more than a few players not wanting to ressurrect their characters. Are they sure that is also what those characters would want? Or do you say so because of some other reason (possibly because otherwise you wouldn't get the same thrill from the game)?

I get the impression that some of you might not want to be ressurected IRL when dying in a car crash on your way back from work. It think very few people would refuse a ressurrection unless they chose to die.

Besides, the level loss and the fact that the player has to sit around and watch the others continue playing for up to several hours without having a chance to participate is a pretty harsh penalty in my opinion. D&D is one of the few games where people are willing to accept being 'out-of-the-game' for several hours at a stretch.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
In the current campaign that I'm a player in we don't know of any means to ressurect and so that is that. So far we've had one fatality and although there was an opportunity to raise the dead, seeing as we've entered the gateway to the underworld, the player declined the possibility. I otoh would take the opportunity because my character would.

In the world that I DM the characters have the means but no spoken & written will nor any pact. They probably wouldn't try to raise their companions but if they did, without an augury/divination it may be a waste of time with the soul refusing. I would enforce the player of the dead character to not have any input into the decision, other than responding to spells and declared previous wishes.

JoeGKushner

First Post
apesamongus said:
I pick "neither".

I don't play if my character can be killed without my consent.

Now that's damn interesting.

And you get GM's to go along with that? I can see it happening in a very story structured bit, but like others, I roll my dice in the open most of the time (critical combats) so the dice fall where they may.

Aristotle

First Post
apesamongus said:
I don't play if my character can be killed without my consent.
I've had a player set this stipulation once. I wished him luck in finding a group. I'm glad to see there are others like him out there (for his sake). Not my playstyle, but to each their own.

Philip said:
I get the impression that some of you might not want to be ressurected IRL when dying in a car crash on your way back from work. It think very few people would refuse a ressurrection unless they chose to die.
Interesting that you speculate that the choice would be different between real life and a characater in the game. I don't deny the choice is easier to make for a fictional character. One could choose not to have a character resurrected for lots of reasons. Two have come up in my games...

1.) The afterlife is great! One player was offered a resurrection, but before he accepted he asked me what the afterlife was like. Having been a willing and loyal follower to his deity, I described it as a place his character would likely consider a paradise. He decided that the character would be reluctant to leave so he declined.

2.) In a very heroic, characters die but they don't have to stay dead, game I ran a character died and the player asked that I not present a method to bring the character back. He felt that the valiant, and story driven, ending of the character's life was the perfect tribute to the character. So the character stayed dead.

Harmon

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
There needs to be a spell for resurrecting the unwilling.

Could you use a Wish/Mircle to trick the soul into thinking he wants to come back to the Resurrecting of his body. Say Mr Evil Orc's corpse is in the hands of Mr Goodie-Giidie Cleric and they need to raise the Orc couldn't Mr Cleric use Mircle to trick the soul then raise him?

Remove ads