• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Ressurection spells (3.5)

Jared Rascher

Explorer
I've gone back and forth on the issue. I've never run a campaign where I didn't allow raise dead spells, and I've not been in a D&D game that excluded them, but as a GM, I've seen a fairly good amount of players refuse to be raised, and I've had a few characters die and I've let them be so I could move on.

It really depends on the character. Sometimes I just really feel like when a given character died, they really fulfilled their destiny, and the are never going to top what they did when they died. Other characters I get attached to, still want to do something with, and feel like they suffered bad luck.

Icyshadowlord

First Post
I myself know that people can get very attatched to their characters in our games. I myself as a player would prefer having the ressurection spells available in a campaign (of course in some campaign settings this is less likely to happen)

As a DM, it's a more situational thing. If I am running a low fantasy game, then they will probably not be anywhere, but in high fantasy settings it's far more likely that the players can find a powerful Cleric who can ressurect a fallen player for a price of some sort, if not even finding a Necromancer who could do the same job.

Fallenibilis

First Post
My DM runs some of the alternate rule for ressurection out of Hero's of Horror, like he use's the random mishaps table and in game we have recently learned that ressurection is becoming more difficult for some unbeknownced reason.

I personally am in favor for them cause with out it i would have lost my current character who i've grown very attached too (he's technically my first and i've been playing him for about 3 1/2 years now) to me rolling a 2 on a fort save where all i had to do was roll a 4 or higher, (my bad luck with dice is astounding i onced rolled a 1 five times in a row using 2 seperate D20's :eek: ) so i opted to bring him back because i believe the character had several important things left to accomplish in his life which he now has the chance to do when not tending to the burial of things we kill (stupid mishap table).

Nomnath

First Post
I personally like the presence of spells that bring folks back to life. It allows me to play a bit harder on the players, throw in traps that are deadlier etc. It also let's me on good conscience throw in things that SoD (recently threw a phantasmal slayer at them). I also like the spells because it makes some threats much scarier, if death was death then all things that can potentially kill you carry the same amount of threat, but with rez spells, some things that aren't that scary, like bloodrots, become scarier since they turn your corpse into one of them and therefore raise dead and reincarnate can't be used.

ps. sorry for using almost all heroes of horror references, I just used some of the book recently so it's fresh on mind, a player rolled an archivist and started leading the party, so I felt I'd tie the story a bit closer to what he uses.

pps. the phantasmal slayer basically acts like a living wierd spell, if you manage to disbelieve the DC 26 will then all it has is a 2d6 touch attack. It's a cr 15 monster, they were lvl 10 avg.
-----The bloodrot is a undeadish slime that causes a curse disease that constantly hits every min for possible con dmg (another stat too but the con is deadly) upon death your body liquidates and turns into a bloodrot. No ressurection for you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads