• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Restored Faith, and Caveat Emptor - a must read for mini-buyers and WotC-doubters

Mulkhoran

First Post
Today.

Today is a good day. A *VERY* good day.

I've been rabidly acquiring DnD minis since the release of Harbinger. For my lazy, slothful butt, these have been a dream come true. No painting, straight from the MM to the board. w00t.

First, the Caveat Emptor - for those of you out there buying minis from non-hobby stores, remember something: these stores have return policies that can allow some lowlife to steal rares without them knowing it. If you buy minis from one of these stores, make sure that it's not only shrink wrapped, but *factory* shrink wrapped. If you look closely, the factory wrap seals right against the box, is stiff, and forms stiff seals. When you tear it open, it holds its shape. If you see aftermarket, saran-wrap like shrink wrap on the package, be cautious. Ask a manager if it has been returned, and if they re-wrapped it in the store.

Now that that's out of the way.......

I won't give away too many details, but recently I got burned by some goon in the distribution chain who tampered with some Expansion Packs I bought.

I contacted WotC as an FYI, and, well.......while I don't want to go into details, let me use this example:

Almost ten years ago, at the height of M:TG, there was a major problem with the distribution of The Dark expansion set. People in areas of the country bought multiple cases, and where they should have ended up with around 1 and 1/2 sets, they ended up with half. There's this story, that I haven't been able to verify, that Wizards set up a nationwide card swap to compensate their customers, and help them normalize their sets.

True or not, I can testify today, here, that this spirit is alive and well at WotC. Yes, cynics, I'm sure it helps to have a major backer. The bottom line is, given the current state of customer service from most vendors, the level of service I've gotten from them today is above and beyond the call of duty.

I'd go into more detail, but there's reasons I'm not. I know I haven't posted here in a while, but hopefully, there are still some of you left that remember me, and are willing to take my word on this.

Today is a *good* day.

- Mike

I've had good luck with WOTC customer service for a couple of minis I received that were damaged. Not as big a problem as what yours sounds like, but I can vouch for them as well.

Remove ads