• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retrieving a potion while grappled

TheEvil

Explorer
So, in the last session, the mage was grappled by a giant constrictor snake. I felt very evil. :)
It did, however raise a couple questions.
The player decided he wanted to drink a potion to make up for some of the damage while the party tried to rescue him. Since the grapple rules don't really cover the situation, I ruled that retrieving the potion from a belt pouch was a full round action that didn't require a grapple check, much like retrieving spell components. The only other existing option that looked even close was drawing a weapon, move action requiring a grapple check, but that didn't really seem as appropriate. Has anyone run into this in the past, and how did you handle it?

If he had a potion belt (FRCS) which allows you to retrieve a potion as a free action once per round, would it remain a free action?

frankthedm

First Post
TheEvil said:
So, in the last session, the mage was grappled by a giant constrictor snake. I felt very evil. :)
It did, however raise a couple questions.
The player decided he wanted to drink a potion to make up for some of the damage while the party tried to rescue him. Since the grapple rules don't really cover the situation, I ruled that retrieving the potion from a belt pouch was a full round action that didn't require a grapple check, much like retrieving spell components. The only other existing option that looked even close was drawing a weapon, move action requiring a grapple check, but that didn't really seem as appropriate. Has anyone run into this in the past, and how did you handle it?

If he had a potion belt (FRCS) which allows you to retrieve a potion as a free action once per round, would it remain a free action?
Free action? I'd recommend not in a grapple.

I'd also recommend all potions in the FR potion belt be broken by the constriction, but that is just my opinion.

Potions are fragile, a full round to get one safely while constricted is really generous. An opposed grapple check is EXACTLY what should have been required. That snake is trying to make sure the victim does nothing at all. Also anything taking a full round action should be impossible due to the opposed nature of a grapple, both sided are heavily interfering with each other.

I'd also recommend 1/2 the damage done by constriction be non lethal, since one often passes out before actual death occors frome being squeezed.

Last edited:

TheEvil

Explorer
frankthedm said:
Free action? I'd recommend not in a grapple.

I'd also recommend all potions in the FR potion belt be broken by the constriction, but that is just my opinion.

Potions are fragile, a full round to get one safely while constricted is really generous. An opposed grapple check is EXACTLY what should have been required. That snake is trying to make sure the victim does nothing at all. Also anything taking a full round action should be impossible due to the opposed nature of a grapple, both sided are heavily interfering with each other.

I'd also recommend 1/2 the damage done by constriction be non lethal, since one often passes out before actual death occors frome being squeezed.

Well Frank, you are certainly gunning for RBDM. ;)

starwed

First Post
T3hEvil said:
The only other existing option that looked even close was drawing a weapon, move action requiring a grapple check, but that didn't really seem as appropriate.
Why not? That seems perfectly appropriate to me.
FtDM said:
Potions are fragile
It's true that they're made of fragile material, but the actual bottle is so small that I don't think this would be too much of a problem:
A typical potion or oil consists of 1 ounce of liquid held in a ceramic or glass vial fitted with a tight stopper. The stoppered container is usually no more than 1 inch wide and 2 inches high. The vial has AC 13, 1 hit point, hardness 1, and a break DC of 12. Vials hold 1 ounce of liquid.

TheEvil

Explorer
starwed said:
Why not? That seems perfectly appropriate to me.

It's true that they're made of fragile material, but the actual bottle is so small that I don't think this would be too much of a problem:

Because, most spell components are closer in size to potions bottles then light weapons. Also, you are rooting around in a bag for the right one. ;)

MarkB

Legend
If the potion is stored so that it can be easily drawn like a weapon, such as in a beilt loop, it could be retrieved using the "draw a light weapon" action - a move action which requires a grapple check.

If the potion is stored in a pack or pocket, it must be retrieved via the "retrieve a stored item" action, and that action is not available to a grappling character.

TheEvil

Explorer
MarkB said:
If the potion is stored so that it can be easily drawn like a weapon, such as in a beilt loop, it could be retrieved using the "draw a light weapon" action - a move action which requires a grapple check.

If the potion is stored in a pack or pocket, it must be retrieved via the "retrieve a stored item" action, and that action is not available to a grappling character.

So it sounds like you are saying that if they have a potion belt, move action with a grapple check, otherwise, not available.

Starglim

Explorer
TheEvil said:
Because, most spell components are closer in size to potions bottles then light weapons. Also, you are rooting around in a bag for the right one. ;)

The difference (as mentioned in another context) is that you only have to have a spell component in hand, but you have to shift a weapon or a potion to the appropriate place to use it.

I'm surprised it takes longer to retrieve a spell component - I'd either make that a move action as well, or make both attempts standard actions.

edit: I agree with Mark about a potion stored in a backpack, but a potion in a clothes pocket should be accessible.

MarkB

Legend
TheEvil said:
So it sounds like you are saying that if they have a potion belt, move action with a grapple check, otherwise, not available.
That's what I'd tend to go with, yes, though Starglim's suggestion of making an exception for relatively convenient pockets is reasonable.

TheEvil

Explorer
The major problem I have with making it a move action with a grapple check (or anything with a grapple check for that matter) is that most people simply will not be able to do it. Most monsters can out-grapple most PCs most of the time. Making retrieving a potion a full round action w/o grapple check at least gives the PC something to do that might conceivably help them save themselves. They still need someone to bail them out, but it at least gives them something to do.

Remove ads