• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retrieving Scrolls and Quick Draw

-Eä-

First Post
Getting a scroll for use is a move-equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity. If my wizard takes the Quick Draw feat, having the scrolls in a position very easy to get, would it be possibly to retrieve the scroll as a free action that provokes an attack of opportunity?

aliensex

First Post
Hey, if your going to burn a feat on it, why not? As long as the scroll is as easy to get to as a sword, no problem. You can even do quick draws for any object if it is stored properly (go bat utility belt!).

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I don't think that preparing a scroll draws an AoO (unless it's on the ground or in your backpack).

In the Broken Realms, they have a non-magical bandolier that lets your prepare a scroll as a free action.

As a DM, I would not allow Quick Draw to be used for anything other than weapons. But a new feat ("Quick Unfurl"?) that does the same thing for scrolls sounds well balanced.

mkletch

First Post
The feat specifically says a weapon (so you could bash the enemy with the scroll), but it would not be an unreasonable house rule to use it as you describe.

-Fletch!

kreynolds

First Post
-Eä- said:
If my wizard takes the Quick Draw feat, having the scrolls in a position very easy to get, would it be possibly to retrieve the scroll as a free action that provokes an attack of opportunity?

No. Quick Draw does not apply to scrolls. However, look into getting Heward's Handy Haversack. That's a perfect workaround.

Teleri_mm

First Post
Personaly i would let this apply to both scrolls & wands as long as they were equiped in easy to get to places. I think this is a very neat and none over powering use of the feat.

Teleri_mm

kreynolds

First Post
Teleri_mm said:
Personaly i would let this apply to both scrolls & wands as long as they were equiped in easy to get to places. I think this is a very neat and none over powering use of the feat.

I might let a Wizard take Quick Draw and have it apply to wands and scrolls, but then I wouldn't let it apply to weapons.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
In the Broken Realms...
now, now....:p

Scroll Organizer (5 gp; 1/2 lb.) long strip of leather with overlapping series of fifteen pockets big enough for a single spell scroll; the organizer shows only the tops of the scrolls allowing the user to read the scroll titles easily

IceBear

Explorer
Given that the feat makes no distinction between weapons - you could quick draw a dagger, greatsword, or a longbow all equally well with the one feat - I'd have no issue allowing a wizard to quick draw a wand or scroll that was readily available.

IceBear

kreynolds

First Post
IceBear said:
Given that the feat makes no distinction between weapons - you could quick draw a dagger, greatsword, or a longbow all equally well with the one feat - I'd have no issue allowing a wizard to quick draw a wand or scroll that was readily available.

Since it makes no distinction, what about...

1) a potion?
2) a flask of oil, alchemists fire, etc.?
3) a torch?
4) a spellbook?
5) a rope?
6) a pair of manacles?
7) a pair of goggles?
8) a ring?
9) an amulet?
10) a brooch?
11) a bedroll?
12) a grappling hook?
13) a shovel?
14) a spyglass?

I'm not trying to be merely argumentative. I just think that a distinction has to be made at some point. Otherwise, this will get out of hand very quickly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads