• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retroclones

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I want to put together a quick list of currently available D&D retroclones for a short news item. I've not really paid much attention to that market segment, and I thought a news item summarising the options would be cool.

Basically it will be a short item themed on playing older versions of D&D (so it will also include the SRD for 3E, and Pathfinder as "3.75" amongst a non-4E fan's options).

I'm aware of OSRIC (that's 1E AD&D, right?) What else is there? Any OD&D clones?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Love this thread idea!

[MENTION=50294]Kirin[/MENTION] developed the Old School Hack which seems to be a pretty nice OD&D type of game. So I'd add that to the list.

Doh! Of course he did. I was there when we gave him his ENnie! It's not actually a clone, though, is it? Though I'm happy to add an additional section for games inspired by older versions, I was more looking for actual clones.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I want to put together a quick list of currently available D&D retroclones for a short news item. I've not really paid much attention to that market segment, and I thought a news item summarising the options would be cool.

Basically it will be a short item themed on playing older versions of D&D (so it will also include the SRD (. . .)

Thanks! And here's a special EN World coupon for about 75% off (good through Labor Day, Sept 5th) that can be used with your article -

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=17705&discount=59614

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You'll need to decide what constitutes "clone" versus what constitutes "inspired by."

OSRIC, for instance, is essentially the AD&D rules, organized a bit better and with product identity stuff stripped.

Castles & Crusades isn't 1E and Pathfinder isn't 3E -- both make a number of changes -- but are clearly able to be played with those games and evoke the spirit of each. I would say that doesn't make them clones, but fellow travelers.

I'd probably opt for an OSR run-down, rather than clones, to avoid this problem. (Lamentations of the Flame Princess isn't considered a clone by a lot of people, but would definitely be OSR, as likely would Dungeon Crawl Classics.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads