Return of the King #1 Movie of the Year

Kai Lord

Hero
John Crichton said:
I would have had no problem with Finding Nemo making more money. It was a tremendous film.
Well, I wouldn't exactly have lost any sleep either but still. ;) I actually found Finding Nemo to be a second tier Pixar film, next to A Bug's Life. *shrugs* Just didn't have the same magic for me that Toy Story 1,2 and Monster's Inc. had.

John Crichton

First Post
How odd.

I liked the Toy Stories. A lot. I liked Monsters, Inc but it was my least favorite of the Pixar films. A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo are my favorites.

But the beauty of Pixar is that all of those films were damn good if not great in some cases. It's like saying "Oh, The Two Towers was my least favorite of Lord of the Rings." All tremendous films. Just a matter of degree at this point. :)

Kai Lord

Hero
John Crichton said:
How odd.

I liked the Toy Stories. A lot. I liked Monsters, Inc but it was my least favorite of the Pixar films. A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo are my favorites.
Ha. :p

John Crichton said:
But the beauty of Pixar is that all of those films were damn good if not great in some cases. It's like saying "Oh, The Two Towers was my least favorite of Lord of the Rings." All tremendous films. Just a matter of degree at this point. :)
Well put.

Welverin

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Yep. Of course movies nearly universally recognized as great such as all three LOTR films, Casablanca, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc., will always have a few people like yourself who say "yeah well I like Spider-Man better."

Really, when did I say that?

Of course it is.

Don't know anyone in kindergarten do you?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Spider Man was as kid friendly as the comic was, which was great. That is why I think it's easily the best comic book movie I've seen. They nailed what Spider-Man is about nearly perfectly.

Kai Lord

Hero
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Spider Man was as kid friendly as the comic was, which was great. That is why I think it's easily the best comic book movie I've seen. They nailed what Spider-Man is about nearly perfectly.
Yep. I agree with everything you said except for Spider-Man being "easily" the best comic book movie. For me it barely edges out Superman, but is still the best. Great fun for all ages.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Kai Lord said:
Yep. I agree with everything you said except for Spider-Man being "easily" the best comic book movie. For me it barely edges out Superman, but is still the best. Great fun for all ages.

The original Superman movie was a great representation of the Superman comic, but I think Spiderman was a much more fun movie to watch.

Ranger REG

Explorer
By original, are you referring to the one starring Christopher Reeve? It was a decent movie, up until he decided to "turn back time" to save Lois Lane.

But Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor is memorable.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Ranger REG said:
By original, are you referring to the one starring Christopher Reeve? It was a decent movie, up until he decided to "turn back time" to save Lois Lane.

But Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor is memorable.

I could easily see a pre Crisis Superman comic using that storyline.

Storminator

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Definitely not a given. It edged FOTR by a mere what...one or two million? And that was with many more small children in attendance. It could have been the same for Spider-Man, but it still would have been nice to see a vastly superior movie like TTT be rewarded with the top spot (not that anyone at New Line is complaining I'm sure).

Before having seen either movie, I would have said it was a given that HP was going to out sell FotR. As I said, it was a lock. I would have bet the ranch on it.

I think HP vastly underperformed, because it was a pretty flawed movie. FotR was much better, and the quality gap was nearly enough to take the top spot.

PS

Remove ads